Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Canvey Island Youth U12's Yellow 0 - 4 Leighwood United U12's Orange

Canvey Island Youth U12’s Yellow finished as runners-up in the Southend & District Junior Sunday Football League U12’s League Cup Final at Roots Hall on Sunday morning.

This was always going to be a tough ask for the young Gulls, playing as a Division A team against the side who won the Premier Division without losing a league game all season.

Leighwood United took the lead on six minutes when Taylor Ansell-Quinton found Hayden Rayment in space inside the Canvey area. Rayment’s shot was well saved by goalkeeper Charlee Jackson who had come off his line, but the rebound went back to Ansell-Quinton who picked out the bottom corner from 12 yards.

It was 2-0 three minutes later when Ansell-Quinton played an identical through ball to release Rayment once again. This time the right sided attacker placed his shot across goal and just inside the post to score.

As the half went on Leighwood continued to apply pressure, but goalkeeper Charlee Jackson was in fine form for the Gulls between the sticks.

On 12 minutes he came off his line to smother Taylor Ansell-Quinton’s shot at his feet, and three minutes later he denied Hayden Rayment from the edge of the box with a dive low to his right.

Then on 19 minutes he showed good bravery to fling himself at the feet of Thomas Campling on the edge of the six-yard box, preventing a certain goal with an excellent save with his legs.

Canvey came close to pulling a goal back on 24 minutes when they were awarded their first corner of the morning. A good ball into the box found the head of Edward Sparkes, but his effort was straight at goalkeeper Freddy Plumb who saved.

Leighwood extended their advantage further when midfielder Finlay Woods took aim and pulled the trigger from 25 yards. Charlee Jackson got to the shot diving low to his left but on this occasion was unable to keep it out of the goal.

Taylor Ansell-Quinton threatened to score again in the 29th minute, but after jinking his way past three Canvey defenders he saw his shot beaten away by Charlee Jackson diving high to his left.

Going into the break 3-0 down, Canvey nearly pulled a goal back inside 30 seconds of the restart when Jack Hodgson hit a goalbound shot from inside the area. However, having beaten the keeper the ball struck a defender and diverted wide of the target.

Taylor Ansell-Quinton made it 4-0 on 38 minutes with a delightful chip over the keeper from the right, scoring his second of the afternoon.

It looked as though Leighwood had scored a fifth on 43 minutes when Finlay Woods struck a shot from just outside the box. However, with the ball sailing into the top corner Charlee Jackson flung himself skywards and managed to tip the shot over the bar in sensational fashion.

Two minutes later Canvey were awarded a free kick 20 yards from goal to the right of centre. Captain Toby Dickinson stepped up and hit a left-footed strike which had the keeper beaten but missed the top corner by a matter of inches.

Leighwood continued to push for more goals for the rest of the half, but a combination of near misses, fine goalkeeping and on one occasion the woodwork kept them at bay.

The final action of the match nearly saw Canvey score the goal that their performance had deserved, but Toby Dickinson’s fine header from a left wing cross was headed off the line by a Leighwood defender.


Canvey Island Youth U12's Yellow Starting XI: Charlee Jackson, William Morgan, Lucas Brooks, Toby Dickinson (c), Edward Sparkes, Jack Hodgson, Ray Bristow, Farrell Sandford, Adam Reynolds.

Subs: Charlie Rayner, Riley Williams, Billy Stoker, Archie Roberts.

Coaches: Richard Sparkes (Manager), Andrew Brooks (Assistant Manager), Steve Young (Coach), Lloyd Sturley (Coach).


Leighwood United U12’s Orange Starting XI: Freddy Plumb, Max Maddocks, Justin Price, Oscar Bennett, Rhys Wagstaff, Hayden Rayment, Thomas Campling, Finlay Woods, Taylor Ansell-Quinton.

Subs: Ethan Rogers.

Coaches: Malcolm Price (Manager), Lee Campling (Manager), Scott Wagstaff (Manager)

Goals: Taylor Ansell-Quinton (6’, 43’), Hayden Rayment (9’), Finlay Woods (27’).