Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Ryman Premier League - 2011/2012
Canvey Island 0
Kingstonian 2
B. Traynor (25), I. Gayle (79)

Canvey's faint chances of a playoff place all but vanished following a  2-0 home defeat against Kingstonian. The K’s scored in either half to earn the victory against a Canvey side who looked poor for long periods.

Glen Alzapiedi made three changes in personnel from the side that beat Carshalton Athletic, with Alex Rhodes injured and Ashley Dumas only able to make the bench following an operation. Jamie Mathews came into left back, with Steve Sheehan returning at centre back and Michael Alaile slotting in at right back. Jason Hallett also returned to the side following a bout of flu, with Jay Curran moving to the right wing and Dean Mason taking Rhodes' place on the left.

The visitors started strongly, with Matthew Pattison and Ian Gayle both having early chances. Ryan Woods came closer still on 9 minutes when he unleashed a long range effort which clipped the top of the crossbar before going out for a goal kick.

Canvey had the ball in the net on 15 minutes, but the goal was disallowed in controversial fashion. A free kick was whipped in from the left which was eventually collected by K’s keeper Rob Tolfrey under pressure. Tolfrey released the ball to make a quick clearance without realising the proximity of Canvey centre back John Easterford who smashed the ball home, only for a foul to be given after the event.

The scoring was opened 10 minutes later after Gulls’ skipper Matt Game kicked Saheed Sankoh in the area and a penalty was awarded. Bobby Traynor stepped up and drilled the penalty low down the centre of the goal to score his 12th league goal of the season, 6 of which have come from the penalty spot.

Kingstonian nearly doubled their advantage on 39 minutes with a free kick from the left after a foul by Jay Curran. Canvey keeper made a tremendous save to keep the initial effort out, and stayed alert at the vital time to smother the rebound.

With no changes from either side at half time the visitors seemed to step up a gear, with the Essex-side looking as though they were still in neutral.

Despite scoring his penalty, Bobby Traynor was not having the best of times in front of goal compared to the high standards he has set in previous seasons. First he saw his lobbed effort from distance go over only 3 minutes into the restart, and then shot wide soon after when well placed following Sam Clayton’s left wing cross. Another chance came his way on 62 minutes when he got in behind the Canvey defence, but this time he shot tamely at Russell.

Kingstonian were in the ascendancy now, and after shots from Ryan Woods and Sam Clayton were both kept out, they eventually doubled the lead with 11 minutes to play. A corner on the right wing was headed in by centre back Ian Gayle, although Canvey will ask questions of the referee after a foul on Michael Alaile was ignored.

Canvey’s best chances both came in stoppage time, first with Leon Gordon’s cross from the right being tipped onto the bar by Tolfrey when the ball was heading for the top corner, and striking the woodwork again with the last kick of the ball through a Rob King free kick.