Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Ryman Premier League - 2016/2017
Canvey Island 0
Concord Rangers 2
S. Cawley (23p), D. Mason (60)

Canvey Island slipped to a 2-0 defeat against Concord Rangers at The Frost Financial Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The Gulls put in a good account of themselves against their higher league opposition but were undone by a goal in either half.

Canvey had the ball in the net after four minutes when Lee O’Leary headed home from a corner. However, the whistle had already been blown by referee Rick Bloy who had spotted an infringement by a player in yellow.

Concord opened the scoring on 23 minutes when a ball was played through the Canvey defence for Joao Carlos to latch onto. Jake Pitty made a desperate sliding tackle to try and prevent Carlos from having a clear shot at goal, but in doing so caught the former-Grays man and conceded a penalty.

Steve Cawley stepped up and slotted his spot kick into the bottom corner of the goal despite Conor Gough guessing the correct way and diving full stretch to his right but to no avail.

On 34 minutes a combination of John Easterford and James White clattered Canvey’s Jack Simmons as the midfielder was on the attack 35-yards from goal. Easterford injured himself in the process, receiving a yellow card before being replaced by Jack Lampe.

One highlight of Canvey’s first half performance was the set piece delivery of Joey May. The central midfielder consistently whipped in dangerous balls into the penalty area which his teammates were unable to make the most of.

The second half by contrast was a far more open, attacking affair. On 53 minutes Jay Dowie managed to get through on goal down the right wing, taking the ball into the box before drilling across the face of goal for Harry Hodd. The pass however was too pacey for the forward and he was unable to turn it goalwards.

Hodd had another opportunity a minute later when Luis Morrison attempted a header back to Conor Gough but failed to apply the necessary force. Harry Hodd got to the ball ahead of Morrison but Gough was able to pluck his shot out of the top corner.

Immediately up the other end Canvey created their best chance to that point when Harrison Chatting sprung the offside trap to run onto a ball inside the area. Chatting took a touch to bring the ball under control before getting his shot off forcing Ben McNamara to concede a corner.

Concord were soon back on the attack and forced Conor Gough into two excellent saves within the space of a minute. On 56 minutes a ball in from the left was chested down by Steve Cawley before turning well and hitting a sweetly struck shot which Gough did brilliantly to turn over from point blank range.

The subsequent corner eventually found its way to Harry Hodd on the far side but Gough this time dived low down to his right to put the ball around the post.

The Beachboys doubled their advantage on the hour mark in a controversial manner. Joao Carlos drove to the touchline on the left wing before chipping a superb cross to the back post. Ashley Dumas was able to hook the ball off the line but it hit Dean Mason and went in. The ball appeared to strike the arm of Mason which was raised above his head but the goal was allowed to stand.

Canvey responded well to going two goals down and began creating some chances of their own. On 64 minutes Martin Tuohy got in behind the Concord defence coming in from the left and caught Ben McNamara in no man’s land. However, the striker’s attempted chip didn’t get the required elevation and McNamara made a grateful save.

A minute later Canvey could have been awarded a penalty when Ben McNamara slid in on Jay Curran who burst into the area from the right. Curran managed to get the ball across before being fouled towards Martin Tuohy although a defender was able to poke the ball over with his toe. Curran appealed to the referee for a penalty but instead a corner was awarded.

The remainder of the match passed by without incident as both managers took the opportunity to make a host of substitutions, including Danny Heale giving Tony Stokes a five-minute run out against his former club as he returns from injury.

Photo: Holly Allison

Match Highlights by Andy Wilkins

Danny Heale Post-Match Interview