Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Ryman Premier League - 2016/2017
Canvey Island 5
G. Sykes (45), M. Gilbey (59), G. Sykes (70), D. Okojie (72), OG (79)
Bowers & Pitsea 3
L. Manor (12), T. Hine (25), B. Warner (39)

Canvey Island came back from 3-0 down to beat Bowers & Pitsea 5-3 at a sunny Frost Financial Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The visitors created a good opportunity as early as the third minute when the ball was played down the wing for left back Vinny Durrant to run onto. Durrant played a low cross into the area which found last season’s Essex Senior League top goalscorer Brad Warner on the edge of the six-yard box.

Warner shot first time which Gough was able to block low down, picking himself up and charging down Warner’s follow up effort from slightly further out.

Bowers did take the lead on 12 minutes after Luis Morrison was forced to clear the ball behind for a corner. The ball was delivered deep but kept in play and hooked up in the air for Luke Wilson to head goalwards. There were men back on the line but tall forward Lewis Manor rose above them to nod home on the line.

Having put Bowers in front Lewis Manor came close to drawing the Gulls level seven minutes later. A free kick out on the right wing was whipped in to the back post which Manor inadvertently headed towards on goal, although fortunately for him the ball was straight at goalkeeper Bobby Mason who saved.

Bowers & Pitsea doubled their advantage with 25 minutes on the clock. A ball was delivered across goal from the left to the edge of the area where it was met with a well-timed shot. Conor Gough saved down low to his left but the ball stayed in play and was slid back towards goal but kept out by Steve Sheehan on the post.

Ashley Dumas attempted to whip the ball clear but he was unaware of Tom Hine charging him down, connecting with Dumas’ clearance and diverting it into the roof of the net.

The lead was stretched even further on 39 minutes when Omarr Lawson gave away possession in midfield and allowed Brad Warner to charge at the Canvey defence, running to the edge of the area before passing to strike partner Lewis Manor.

Manor scuffed his shot but in doing so returned possession to Warner who was able to score with a simple finish into an empty net.

Canvey pulled a goal back on the stroke of half time when George Sykes ran the ball in from the left wing, dribbling into the area and switching onto his right foot and beating Bobby Mason at his near post.

Having been outworked and outplayed in the first half the Gulls came out for the second half looking much more focussed and dominated from start to finish.

Five minutes after the restart a good advantage played by referee Steve Parmenter allowed Harrison Chatting the chance to cut in from the right wing. Chatting drove into the area but his shot across goal was brilliantly turned behind by substitute goalkeeper Martyn Guest.

The deficit was reduced on 59 minutes when Harrison Chatting played the ball out to Dee Okojie on the right wing. Okojie sent over a superb cross which Mitchell Gilbey met with an equally impressive header to send the ball across goal and in.

Canvey pushed hard for an equaliser and came close twice, first on 64 minutes when Dee Okojie forced Martyn Guest to concede a corner from 20 yards and then five minutes later when Jake Gordon’s lobbed effort went narrowly over with Guest caught in no man’s land.

The scores were finally level on 70 minutes when the ball was played into the feet of George Sykes inside the box and the forward calmly slotted across goal and into the bottom corner for his second goal of the afternoon.

The turnaround was complete two minutes later when Dee Okojie found the same corner of the net as Sykes, this time drilling a shot across goal from 20 yards.

The scoring was rounded off on 79 minutes with Dee Okojie involved once again. This time the former-Tonbridge man whipped in a dangerous cross from the right wing which defender Scott Pethers headed into his own net to seal Canvey’s comeback victory.

Danny Heale Post-Match Interview