Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Ryman Premier League - 2016/2017
Canvey Island 1
J. Simmons (31)
Thurrock 3
L. Clark (36), R. Winn (43), R. Wall (70)

Canvey Island threw away a one goal lead to lose 3-1 against Ryman North side Thurrock at The Frost Financial Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

On a hot and sunny day the Gulls were exposed defensively and conceded three disappointing goals to lose the match.

The Thurrock starting XI included three former-Canvey players in their starting XI. Midfielder Glenn Poole was included in the middle of the park having joined the Fleet in the summer from Billericay Town as a player-coach.

Leading the line was Ronnie Winn, a graduate of the successful Canvey Island Academy side which reached the FA Youth Cup 3rd Round Proper in 2012. Finally, central defender Richard Halle played his first game for Thurrock against his previous employers having been released by Canvey during the week.

Managing these ex-Gulls was another former-Canvey midfielder in Mark Stimson. The influential playmaker won the FA Trophy with Canvey in 2001 and has since gone on to have spells managing the likes of Grays Athletic, Stevenage Borough and Gillingham.

Danny Heale meanwhile included Jack Lampe in his starting XI after the central defender signed on a dual registration from Concord Rangers,

Canvey started well and created a good chance after only two minutes when Jake Pitty picked out Martin Tuohy inside the box with a cross from the right wing. Tuohy connected with a first time volley but his effort was kept out by goalkeeper Connor Wheatley diving low to his left.

Soon after a good ball down the left wing found Martin Tuohy who spotted the goalkeeper off of his line and attempted a lob with his left foot which went across goal and wide.

On eight minutes a corner from Joey May was headed out by a defender but only as far as Jack Simmons who was just inside the box in a central position. Simmons hit a powerful shot which looked goalbound until it struck the back of a defender and went behind for a corner.

Canvey kept applying the pressure and should have taken the lead on 28 minutes from another excellent corner from Joey May. Luis Morrison attacked the ball at the back post but couldn’t force it over the line from close range.

The Gulls took the lead on 31 minutes in spectacular fashion. Winger Jack Simmons picked up the ball 20-yards from goal and drilled an unstoppable shot into the top corner past a despairing dive from Connor Wheatley.

Thurrock were level five minutes later when they were awarded a free kick out on the left wing. Glenn Poole delivered a flat free kick into the box which none of the Canvey defenders took ownership of, with the ball eventually finding Lewis Clark to slide home a simple goal.

It was 2-1 to the visitors on 43 minutes when a simple ball over the top for Ronnie Winn to chase down. Winn got the better of centre back Luis Morrison and found the back of the net from the edge of the area.

The second half started in lively fashion with both sides creating good chances. On 47 minutes Jack Simmons struck a similar effort to the one that saw the net bulge in the first half, but this time Connor Wheatley managed to get across and beat the ball away from the top corner.

Two minutes later a backwards defensive header inside the area saw Glenn Poole receive the ball onside six yards from goal. With defenders closing him down Poole attempted an overhead kick which went over the bar.

Straight up the other end a header across the 18-yard box by Luis Morrison found Martin Tuohy who hit a sweetly struck volley which unfortunately went the wrong side of the upright.

Conor Gough was called into action on 61 minutes when Joe Christou shot from just outside the box. However, the big keeper was equal to the effort and did brilliantly to tip the ball over for a corner.

Thurrock’s victory was sealed with 20 minutes to play when a poorly judged header by Luis Morrison back towards Conor Gough was under hit. Charlie Stimson chased down the loose ball but Gough raced out of his area to intercept with his head and then with a good tackle.

The ball fell to Ross Wall inside the centre circle, and with Gough off of his line the striker chipped an accurate shot home from 40 yards.

The closest that Canvey came to pulling a goal back was on 80 minutes when Marlon Agyakwa tried to pick out the bottom corner from 20 yards, but with the keeper rooted to the spot Agyakwa could only watch as the ball whistled past the base of the post.