Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Ryman Premier League - 2016/2017
Canvey Island 2
M. Tuohy (45), T. Stokes (75)
Potters Bar Town 2
A. Nathaniel-George (2), E. Casey (68)

Canvey Island and Potters Bar Town will try again on Tuesday night after an exciting 2-2 draw in The Emirates FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round at The Frost Financial Stadium on Saturday.

The Gulls came back from a goal down on two occasions to ensure that the two sides will lock horns once again at Parkfield to determine who will make it through to the next round.

A strong wind blowing towards the sea wall end of the ground was with Canvey in the first half, but any thoughts of home side using the conditions to dominate the opening 45 minutes ended when Potters opened the scoring after only two minutes.

A good cross from the right wing by Billy Baird was drilled into the area and not dealt with by Luis Morrison, allowing Ashley Nathaniel-George to score with a diving header at the back post.

They created another good opportunity on 14 minutes when midfielder Chris Doyle was played in behind the Canvey defence down the left and cut in towards goal. Doyle drilled a shot across goal towards the bottom corner which Conor Gough did well to tip behind for a corner.

Canvey’s first chance came on 16 minutes when Ashley Dumas delivered a free kick into the area from the half way line found Lee O’Leary inside the area. O’Leary flicked the ball towards goal with his head which went narrowly wide of the top corner.

Martin Tuohy had a shot cleared off of the line in the 25th minute after defender Dean Grace knocked the ball beyond his own goalkeeper Ben Goode. Tuohy steered the ball with his left foot on target but defender Carl McCluskey was able to keep it out with a sliding block on the line to concede a corner.

The subsequent corner was half cleared to Ashley Dumas on the right who crossed to the back post for Steve Sheehan whose shot hit the side netting.

Potters Bar were nearly gifted a second goal on 29 minutes when Ryan O’Rawe left a high ball for goalkeeper Conor Gough rather than heading clear. The wind meant that Gough had to come further than he would have liked to get to the ball and in the end had to punch clear under pressure from an attacker.

The punch was miscued and went straight to forward Danny Hart, but his shot towards an unguarded goal from 20 yards went wide.

Canvey equalised in the first of two additional minutes added on by the referee Simon Finnigan at the end of the first half. A good passing move ended with Lee O’Leary threading a ball through for Martin Tuohy to collect inside the area and score with a delightful chipped finish.

The Scholars had the wind in their favour in the second half and were using it to better effect than Canvey had in the first half, chancing their arm with a number of long shots in the opening 20 minutes after the restart. The most dangerous of these came on 56 minutes when Chris Doyle hit a sweetly struck shot which Conor Gough watched well to save and hold above his head.

Canvey manager Danny Heale made a double substitution a minute later, introducing Tony Stokes and Mitchell Gilbey in place of George Sykes and Jack Simmons.

Martin Tuohy looked to have put the Gulls ahead on 64 minutes when Potters Bar goalkeeper Ben Goode misjudged a punched clearance, much in the same way as Conor Gough did in the first half. With Goode out of his goal Martin Tuohy was able to get his shot off, but a heroic headed clearance on the line from former-Hendon man Carl McCluskey kept the scores level.

The visitors retook the lead on 68 minutes when Danny Hart delivered an excellent cross from the right wing for strike partner Eion Casey at the back post who headed home to round off an excellent counter attack.

Set piece specialist Joey May had a sight of goal on 74 minutes after Harrison Chatting had been fouled 25 yards from goal. May found the target with the subsequent free kick but against the wind didn’t manage to get enough power on the shot to beat Ben Goode.

Canvey did beat Goode a minute later when substitutes Mitchell Gilbey and Tony Stokes combined to good effect. Martin Tuohy played the ball out to Gilbey on the right wing who in turn sent over a superb cross for Tony Stokes to rise high and head home from close range.

Despite being pegged back once again Potters Bar looked the more likely of the two sides to grab a winner in the remaining 15 minutes. Their best chance came on 82 minutes when Joe Bennett hit a right-footed shot from 20 yards which forced Conor Gough to make an excellent save diving full to his left.

After six additional minutes the referee’s full time whistle means Canvey will travel to Hertfordshire on Tuesday night for a replay.

Photo: Holly Allison

Match Highlights by Andy Wilkins

Danny Heale Post-Match Interview with Simon Pitts