Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Ryman Premier League - 2016/2017
Canvey Island 3
T. Stokes (32), J. Simmons (36), G. Sykes (76)
Hendon 1
C. Maclaren (44)

Canvey Island returned to winning ways with a 3-1 Ryman Premier League victory against Hendon at The Frost Financial Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Manager Danny Heale made two changes from the side that were beaten by Kingstonian on Saturday, bringing in Omarr Lawson and former-Hendon captain Lee O’Leary in for Joey May and the injured Sheldon Sellears.

The opening period of the match was fairly uneventful, with the only action of note coming in the 13th minute when Tony Stokes appeared to be hauled down inside the box by defender Luke Tingey. However, referee Scott Williams was not convinced and allowed play to continue.

Canvey took the lead on 32 minutes when the ball was taken down the right wing by Omarr Lawson. The midfielder whipped in a low cross which evaded Luke Tingey found Tony Stokes who brought the ball under control before tucking it away into the bottom corner to score in his fifth consecutive match.

It was 2-0 four minutes later when a bad mistake from Hendon captain Chris Seeby saw him lose possession to Jack Simmons inside his own half, gifting Simmons a clear run at goal. The winger advanced to the edge of the area before rounding goalkeeper Berkeley Laurencin and finishing low into an empty net.

Just when it looked as though this would be a routine win for the Gulls, Canvey did what they do best and let the opposition back into the game just before half time. A cross from deep on the left by Spencer McCall found Casey Maclaren at the back post who rose to head across goal and into the inside side netting to pull a goal back for the visitors.

Omarr Lawson and Lee O’Leary both had shots from the edge of the area hit the target in first half injury time in an effort to restore the two goal cushion, but on both occasions the shots were straight at Berkeley Laurencin who was able to save low down.

Hendon started the second half well and could have drawn level on 50 minutes when striker Niko Muir was played in behind the Canvey defence, but his right-footed shot from just inside the area was dragged across goal and wide.

The have another opportunity on 68 minutes when a free kick caused havoc inside the Canvey area, eventually falling to Niko Muir who saw his shot from point blank range blocked by a defender.

Canvey sealed the three points with 14 minutes to play when Martin Tuohy, who had only been on the pitch for two minutes, sent over a superb cross from the left for strike partner George Sykes to
score with a well taken volley.

Ryan O’Rawe had a chance to make the margin of victory even greater with five minutes remaining when he timed his run perfectly to meet Martin Tuohy’s corner with his head, but his effort went across goal and narrowly wide of the far post.

Danny Heale Post-Match Interview with Simon Pitts