Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Ryman Premier League - 2016/2017
Needham Market 3
M. Brothers (26), K. Morphew (39), J. Curtis (53)
Canvey Island 3
M. Tuohy (8), G. Sykes (19), O. Lawson (60)

Canvey Island and Needham Market played out a thoroughly entertaining 3-3 draw in the Ryman Premier League at Bloomfields on Tuesday evening.

Canvey had raced into a 2-0 lead as they had in the original match before finding themselves 3-2 down. They drew level on the hour mark and were the width of the woodwork away from winning the match in stoppage time.

Manager Danny Heale made two changes from the side that knocked Dunstable Town out of The Emirates FA Cup on Saturday. In came midfielder Omarr Lawson and defender Jake Pitty who replaced Joey May and Luis Morrison respectively, the latter serving a one-match suspension.

Canvey started well and could have taken the lead after only two minutes when Lee O’Leary got his head to a cross. He was able to nod the ball across goal towards George Sykes, but the tall striker was unable to get the all-important touch.

The Gulls did get their noses in front six minutes later when some neat passing from Canvey ended with Martin Tuohy’s shot catching a deflection and looping high over goalkeeper Danny Gay and into the back of the net.

Jack Simmons came close to doubling the advantage with a free kick which flew narrowly over the bar on 15 minutes.

It was 2-0 on 19 minutes when Tuohy turned from scorer to provider, nodding down for George Sykes on the edge of the area who thundered home with an unstoppable volley.

Needham got themselves back into the game on 26 minutes when Luke Ingram crossed for striker Michael Brothers to score with an accomplished finish.

The hosts were level six minutes before half time in spectacular fashion when midfielder Keiran Morphew curled a stunning effort from 30 yards into the top corner to bring Needham back on level terms.

Omarr Lawson did have an opportunity to put Canvey back in front going into the break but was denied by Danny Gay at the expense of a corner.

Having come back from two goals down Needham had the momentum in the second half and took the lead on 53 minutes through Jack Curtis, the second Market player of the evening to benefit from the creativity of Luke Ingram who added another assist to his name.

It could have been worse for Canvey two minutes later when Michael Brothers rose unmarked to head towards goal from close range, but uncharacteristically he steered his effort the wrong side of the post.

After being under the cosh for the first 15 minutes of the second half Canvey pulled themselves level on the hour mark. A good move ended with Jake Pitty delivering an excellent cross for Omarr Lawson to head home his first goal of the season.

Both sides spent the remaining half hour in search of a winning goal rather than settling for a point.

Needham’s best chance came in the 76th minutes when Keiran Morphew was denied his second goal of the night thanks to a superb save from Conor Gough.

The last action of the night nearly saw Canvey steal victory at the death when substitute Tony Stokes struck an excellent shot which crashed against the crossbar before being cleared to safety by the home defence.