Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Ryman Premier League - 2016/2017
Canvey Island 0
Ware 0

Canvey Island were knocked out of the Alan Turvey Trophy sponsored by Robert Dyas at the 2nd round stage on a penalty shootout against Ryman North outfit Ware at The Frost Financial Stadium on Tuesday night.

A strong wind whipping across the pitch from the dugouts towards the seating stand ruined the match as a game of football, with Ware keeping their composure from 12 yards after neither side could find a goal in the regulation 90 minutes.

Ware created a good chance in only the second minute when Murat Karagul was played in behind the Canvey defence down the left. However, the forward’s eventual shot was dragged across goal and out for a throw.

Canvey could have been awarded a penalty on 18 minutes when Martin Tuohy was able to knock the ball past goalkeeper Joe Simmonds. The keeper clattered into Tuohy leaving him in a heap on the ground, but neither the referee or his assistant deemed the contact to be a foul and allowed play to continue.

Tony Stokes had scored in each of his previous five matches coming into this match and nearly extended his streak in the 23rd minute when a ball was crossed in from the right wing. Stokes connected with a sweetly struck volley at the back post which was headed off of the line by defender Jack Mace.

Having come close at the start of the match, Murat Karagul came even closer on 35 minutes when he received the ball in a similar position, this time shooting inches wide of the upright.

The best chance of the first half came two minutes before the break when a low ball from the left was played into the path of winger Nathan Mukuna bursting into the area from the right wing. Mukuna got his shot off but denied thanks to a fine save from Lewis Greene who had come off of his line decisively to close down the angle.

With the scores deadlocked at the break, both sides did their best to give their opponents a helping hand in the opening ten minutes of the second half.

On 52 minutes Canvey keeper Lewis Greene dropped a corner which swirled in the strong wind and looked to have fumbled it into his own goal, but thankfully Elliott Warren was on hand to clear off of the line.

Two minutes later Martin Tuohy sent over a cross from the left wing which was heading for Tony Stokes on the far side. Central defender Tom Bradbury stuck out a leg to prevent the ball from finding Stokes but in doing so sent it towards the bottom corner, although fortunately for him goalkeeper Joe Simmonds was alert to keep it out diving low to his right.

Canvey came close again on 58 minutes when a long range effort from Joey May from distance was saved but not held by Joe Simmonds. Omarr Lawson was first to the loose ball but flashed his shot across goal.

The game really started to open up in the final half hour with substitute Charles Greene missing by a matter of inches for Ware before Jack Simmons curled over from the edge of the area after Omarr Lawson’s initial effort had been saved.

Canvey had further opportunities to open the scoring through Harrison Chatting and Joey May, but on both occasions these were long range efforts which Joe Simmonds was able to judge well and save.

The full time whistle sent the match straight to penalties with Murat Karagul putting the visitors 1-0 up.

Martin Tuohy failed to draw Canvey level when his penalty low to the keeper’s left was kept out by the foot of Joe Simmonds. Evandro Delgado doubled Ware’s lead despite Lewis Greene getting a hand to the ball before Harrison Chatting thumped his spot kick straight down the middle for Simmonds to save without having to move.

Ware gave Canvey a glimmer of hope when Alaa Oudji clipped the base of the post to miss, with Joey May registering Canvey’s first successful conversion straight after to make it 2-1.

However, Joe Reynolds emphatically scored his penalty to make the score 3-1 before Jake Gordon shot high and wide to see the Ryman North side through to the next round.