Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Ryman Premier League - 2016/2017
Waltham Abbey 0
Canvey Island 1
M. Tuohy (65)

Canvey Island progressed into the next round of the BBC Essex Senior Cup with a 1-0 win away to Ryman North side Waltham Abbey on Tuesday evening.

The third round tie was settled by a second half goal from Martin Tuohy in a match that took a while to get going but livened up in the second half.

Manager Danny Heale made three changes of personnel from the last outing against Metropolitan Police ten days ago, bringing in Jake Pitty at right back and handing debuts to recent signings Tayshan Hayden-Smith and Harry Morgan.

Ashley Dumas moved inside to partner Steve Sheehan in central defence with Harrison Chatting dropping in at left back.

The first half was a quiet affair in which neither side managed to put together much flowing football on a difficult playing surface.

The hosts did manage to create a good opportunity in the sixth minute when the ball was played through for Gavin Suddell to collect coming in from the right wing. Suddell shot low across goal but Ashley Dumas managed to stick out a foot to prevent it from finding the bottom corner.

Canvey’s best chance came on 27 minutes when a through ball released Martin Tuohy in behind the home defence. Tuohy dribbled to the edge of the area before curling a shot with his right foot which went uncharacteristically wide.

With the scores deadlocked at the break, Canvey should have taken the lead ten minutes into the second half. Tayshan Hayden-Smith played a perfect ball that cut through the Abbey defence and allowed George Sykes to bear down on goal having come in from the right. Sykes squared for his strike partner Martin Tuohy but his goalbound effort was kept out thanks to the right boot of goalkeeper Lewis Lockyer.

The only goal of the game came on 65 minutes when Harrison Chatting showed great vision to play Martin Tuohy through on goal with a pass from deep in his own half. Tuohy displayed good composure to round the keeper before slotting coolly home to score his seventh goal of the season.

Waltham Abbey nearly equalised three minutes later when the lively Gavin Suddell sent over a pinpoint cross from the right which found striker Darrell Russell unmarked inside the box. However, his header went over the crossbar to squander a golden opportunity to register an immediate response.

Canvey could have been awarded a penalty on 72 minutes when right back Michael Spencer slid in on Martin Tuohy inside the box. The referee blew his whistle, but instead of pointing to the spot he signalled for a free kick to the home side, much to the bewilderment of Tuohy.

The Abbey pushed for an equaliser but failed to test Lewis Moore in the Canvey goal. In throwing men forward they inevitably left gaps in defence, something which Joey May nearly capitalised on as the match entered the 90th minute. May found himself 25 yards from goal with no defenders closing him down, launching a long range effort which Lewis Lockyer did well to save diving high to his right.

Photo: Robert Craven/Essex County FA

Danny Heale Post-Match Interview with Simon Pitts