Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Ryman Premier League - 2016/2017
Canvey Island 0
Staines Town 6
OG (19), A. Clifton (21), M. Bettamer (28), B. Adams (63), M. Worsfold (78), T. Brewer (80)

Canvey Island were crushed 6-0 for the second time in three matches, this time being hammered by Staines Town at The Frost Financial Stadium.

Manager Danny Heale was without Harrison Chatting and Martin Tuohy, both of whom were suffering with illnesss. Tayshan Hayden-Smith returned to the starting XI after returning from a three-match suspension while Elliott Warren held his place at right back to make his home league debut.

The Gulls started brightly and created an excellent chance to take the lead on eight minutes. George Sykes cut in from the left and squared for Tambeson Eyong who had his shot from point blank range saved by Staines goalkeeper Jack Turner.

As the half wore on Staines began to get on top of proceedings and created their first opportunity on 14 minutes when Brandon Adams was able to cross from the left wing. The ball found the head of Tom Day at the back post but his effort was turned behind for a corner by Lewis Moore.

They took the lead on 19 minutes with Adams involved again. His low ball from the right hit defender Ryan O’Rawe who deflected it beyond Lewis Moore and into his own net.

The Swans doubled their advantage almost immediately when a swift break saw Adams pass to captain Adrian Clifton who beat a defender before drilling into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

It was 3-0 on 28 minutes when the visitors set off on a similar counter attack. This time winger Kyran Wiltshire burst down the right and squared for striker Mohamed Bettamer to sweep home having gotten in behind Jack Lampe.

It could have been 4-0 six minutes later when an identical ball in from the right this time found Brandon Adams, but his shot was well blocked by Lewis Moore.

The final action of the first half saw a confrontation between Canvey captain Tambeson Eyong and winger Tayshan Hayden-Smith. Eyong pushed Hayden-Smith in the face and was lucky to escape with only a yellow card, going on the be substituted at half time with Joey May his replacement.

Canvey’s best chance of the second half came on 61 minutes when George Sykes saw a shot saved by Jack Turner. The rebound fell straight to Junior Luke on the edge of the area but his follow up effort was also kept out by the keeper. Luke had another bite of the cherry but hit the side netting.

Staines scored their fourth of the afternoon soon afterwards when a long ball forwards released Brandon Adams beyond Ryan O’Rawe. Adams rounded Lewis Moore who had come from his line and slotted home from a tight angle.

Max Worsfold made it 5-0 on 78 minutes when his free kick on the right wing eluded everyone and sailed across goal and into the top corner.

Canvey had well and truly given up by this point, and it was of little surprise when substitute Tommy Brewer was allowed to stroke the ball home from 20 yards with low shot past Lewis Moore with ten minutes of normal time remaining.

Danny Heale Post-Match Interview with Simon Pitts