Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Ryman Premier League - 2016/2017
Canvey Island 3
M. Gilbey (26), G. Sykes (57), M. Tuohy (83)
Lowestoft Town 0

Canvey Island completed a league double over Lowestoft Town at The Frost Financial Stadium on Saturday, beating the Suffolk-based side 3-0 for the second time this season.

Manager Danny Heale made only one change from the side that drew 0-0 away to Hendon on Tuesday night. Midfielder Ryan Blackman was suspended for bookings collected while at previous club Waltham Abbey, so in came ex-Arsenal youngster Alfred Mugabo after he signed on a month’s loan from Dulwich Hamlet.

The visitors looked dangerous from set pieces in the opening period of the match and had two chances from corners. On seven minutes a flick across goal at the near post drifted inches wide, and three minutes later Rory Mcauley so a low shot saved by Lewis Moore.

On 12 minutes a good advantage from referee Andrew Williams allowed Lowestoft winger Chris Henderson a run at goal from the right, but having advanced to the edge of the area his low shot was straight at Lewis Moore who made a comfortable stop.

Canvey’s first opportunity came on 14 minutes after Harrison Chatting had been fouled on the edge of the area. Alfred Mugabo stepped up an struck a right-footed free kick which curled narrowly wide of the top corner.

The Gulls took the lead on 26 minutes when George Sykes brought the ball out of the air with an exquisite touch 20 yards from goal. Sykes tried to create an angle for himself to shoot but was unable to, instead opting to square for Mitchell Gilbey who had cut in from the right wing.

Gilbey’s shot from the edge of the box went through the legs of a defender which caused goalkeeper Jamie Waite to see it late, with the ball also travelling through his legs and over the line.

Lowestoft responded positively to going a goal behind and forced Lewis Moore into another save on 32 minutes. The keeper dived full to his left to keep our Ryan Jarvis’ deflected shot from just inside the box.

Two minutes later a swift counter attack saw the ball played into Jarvis’ younger brother Rossi. He was able to turn inside Tambeson Eyong leaving himself with only Lewis Moore to beat, but the Trawlerboys captain blasted his shot over the bar.

Canvey nearly doubled their lead five minutes before half time when Omarr Lawson had a shot on target with goalkeeper Jamie Waite out of his goal having come for a cross. Lawson, hit his effort into the ground but defender Harry Barker was perfectly placed to head off the line and behind for a corner.

The Gulls had an even better opportunity to score ten minutes into the second half when George Sykes was played through on goal down the right. Sykes shot across goal and towards the bottom corner, but his shot hit the inside of the post in a carbon copy of an effort he had against Hendon in midweek.

Martin Tuohy collected the loose ball and fired it back towards goal, but this time goalkeeper Jamie Waite pulled off a tremendous save high above his head to deny the striker. The ball was still in play and allowed Harrison Chatting a third bite of the cherry, but his shot was deflected behind for a corner.

The goal did goal come two minutes later when Martin Tuohy dug out an excellent cross from the left wing which found Mitchell Gilbey at the far post. Gilbey looked to have scored but the ball was kept out once again by Jamie Waite who was able to tip it onto the crossbar. However, the ball fell inside the six yard box and George Sykes reacted quickest to slam home his tenth goal of the season.

It was nearly 3-0 soon afterwards when Martin Tuohy played Mitchell Gilbey in on goal, but his powerful shot from the edge of the area was well saved by Jamie Waite.

The Gulls had a slice of luck on 65 minutes when Trawlerboys forward Jake Reed was brought down in the penalty area. The spot kick would have surely been awarded if the assistant referee hadn’t already raised his flag for an offside against Reed following a header by Chris Henderson.

Lowestoft had the ball in a similar area on 82 minutes, but a superbly timed tackle from defender John Mbamarah saw him slide in to win the ball as the last man and deny the visitors what would have been an almost certain goal.

The victory was sealed a minute later when George Sykes brought the ball out of his own half on the counter attack with Lowestoft having committed men forwards. Sykes drove infield from the left, skipping over a challenge before passing to strike partner Martin Tuohy to fire home from just inside the box.

The Trawlerboys’ misery was compounded on 86 minutes when defender Rory Mcauley was dismissed for his second bookable offence having fouled George Sykes right in front of the assistant referee.

Photo: Holly Allison

Danny Heale Post-Match Interview with Simon Pitts