Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Ryman Premier League - 2016/2017
Folkestone Invicta 6
F. Chappell (37), J. Taylor (53), I. Draycott (65), M. Cornwell (69), C. Rook (86), M. Cornwell (89)
Canvey Island 0

Canvey Island suffered a humiliating 6-0 defeat away to 18th placed Folkestone Invicta at The Fullicks Stadium on Saturday.

After having the better of the chances in the first half Canvey conspired to concede five times in the second half and gift Folkestone with the easiest three points they will pick up all season.

Canvey started the match brightly, creating two good chances in the opening ten minutes. On five minutes a good cross by Omarr Lawson from the right wing was met by the run of George Sykes at the near post, but his header from six yards went the wrong side of the post.

A minute later a perfectly weighted through ball from Joey May released Martin Tuohy who shot one on one against Tim Roberts. The keeper half stopped Tuohy’s shot and was able to pounce on it as it rolled towards the line.

The Gulls continued to press and created further opportunities in quick succession. On 16 minutes Omarr Lawson delivered an excellent ball down the right wing from just inside his own half which found Martin Tuohy. The forward got the better of his marker but hit a tame shot straight at Tim Roberts who saved.

Tuohy and Lawson combined again less than a minute later when a cross from the left was headed down by Tuohy at the back post. Lawson received the ball in a great position but was unable to get the ball from underneath his feet, seeing his eventual shot blocked by an Invicta defender.

Home goalkeeper Tim Roberts was called into action once again on 24 minutes when a loose ball inside the area fell at the feet of George Sykes 12 yards from goal. Sykes hit a well struck shot which Roberts did brilliantly to turn behind for a corner diving low to his right.

Lewis Moore was forced into action for the first time on 26 minutes when Jordan Wright played striker Joe Taylor through on goal, but his shot from the left was saved by the feet of the Dagenham & Redbridge shot stopper.

Martin Tuohy had an opportunity soon after when he latched onto a long ball and brought it under control. Tuohy skipped the ball past goalkeeper Tim Roberts who had come from his line to the edge of the box on the right, but in doing so found himself with a tight angle to shoot from. The forward held onto possession to try and create a better position to pull the trigger, but this allowed defenders to retreat and block his eventual shot.

Folkestone broke immediately up the other end and were only denied an opener thanks to a tremendous double save by Lewis Moore. Firstly Moore saved high above his head from Joe Taylor, then dropped low to keep out Ian Draycott’s rebound.

The deadlock was finally broken on 37 minutes when the hosts were awarded free kick inside the centre circle for a foul by Tambeson Eyong. A simple free kick was lofted into the area which found the head of defender Frankie Chappell who scored with a looping effort after Lewis Moore had come off of his line without getting the ball.

Canvey came very close to equalising as the match ticked over into first half injury time. Harrison Chatting slid a pass from the right to Martin Tuohy who shot first time, dragging his effort across goal but straight to Omarr Lawson. The midfielder found the target with a shot of his own but once again Tim Roberts kept the ball out, this time diving to his left to save before seizing the loose ball.

Leading 1-0 at the break, Folkestone came close to doubling their advantage less than two minutes into the second half. Ian Draycott found himself in space 25 yards from goal in a central position and got a shot off which Lewis Moore was able to turn behind with a fingertip save diving to his left.

The home side did score again on 53 minutes when a straight forward ball cut through the Canvey defence for Joe Taylor to slot home with ease from inside the area to the left of goal.

It was game over 12 minutes later when Folkestone scored their third on a counter attack following a Canvey corner which had been forced by George Sykes. Joey May played a low corner to the edge of the box to Martin Tuohy, but the striker fluffed his lines and set Folkestone off on a four-on-three break.

The ball was eventually worked out to the right for Jordan Wright who crossed from the touchline for Ian Draycott to head home from close range.

Things got even worse on 69 minutes when Miles Cornwell scores Invicta’s fourth. Having been denied by a great save from Lewis Moore moments earlier, this time Cornwell shot high into the goal from just inside the area leaving Moore with no chance.

The rout was completed with two goals in the final five minutes. Folkestone’s fifth was a goal that perfectly demonstrated Canvey’s defensive frailties. A free header in midfield was enough to release experienced striker Carl Rook who lobbed the ball home having ghosted in behind the Canvey rearguard.

Finally, Miles Cornwell drilled home his second and Folkestone’s sixth on 89 minutes from the edge of the area after the hosts had flooded forward with Canvey seemingly have thrown in the towel.

The full time whistle brought to an end a performance that was scarier than any Halloween events held earlier in the week. Captain Tambeson Eyong took his team over to apologise to the travelling support who had witnessed one of the most lacklustre second half displays in the club’s recent history.

Joe Keith Post-Match Interview with Simon Pitts