Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Ryman Premier League - 2016/2017
Basildon United 2
T. Sinfield (52), N. Dewberry (64)
Canvey Island 0

Canvey Island were knocked out of the BBC Essex Senior Cup at the fourth round stage after a 2-0 defeat away to Essex Senior League side Basildon United on Tuesday night.

At a foggy Stuart Bingham Stadium, the Gulls were poor throughout and were deservedly beaten by their lower league opposition.

Manager Danny Heale made four changes from the side that lost 3-1 to Kingstonian on Saturday. Mitchell Gilbey recovered from illness to start on the right wing and Tayshan Hayden-Smith came in to partner George Sykes in attack.

Jack Lampe replaced John Mbamarah in central defence and Conor Gough made his first appearance in goal since September after recovering from a serious finger injury.

The match started as a quiet affair, with the first shot on target for either side coming in the 19th minute and falling to the visitors.

Ashley Dumas juggled the ball on the edge of the area before dinking it onto the head of George Sykes inside the box. Sykes brought the ball down but saw his shot blocked, with the loose ball falling kindly for Tayshan Hayden-Smith 18 yards from goal. He struck the ball back towards goal on the volley which goalkeeper Liam Pitts did well to save low down.

Basildon created a good chance soon afterwards when winger Ayoola Odedoyin burst down the right channel to the byline before cutting a tempting ball back across goal. Former-Canvey midfielder John-Joe Slater was making ground towards the back post with a run from deep but got there a second too late to make a connection.

Mitchell Gilbey came close to opening the scoring on 23 minutes when he stood over a free kick 20 yards from goal to the left of goal. The midfielder hit a curling effort which looked as though it was destined for the top corner before going narrowly over.

On 37 minutes Jake Pitty nearly scored his first ever goal for the club when he found himself in an uncharacteristically forward position on the left wing. He beat two defenders before shooting from a tight angle which Liam Pitts was able to save low down by his post.

With the match goalless at the break, Ayoola Odedoyin had a good chance to put the hosts in front four minutes into the restart. The ball fell loose inside the area from a corner and landed at the feet of Odedoyin, but he took too long to pull the trigger and Conor Gough was able to smother the ball at his feet.

Basildon did take the leads on 52 minutes when a free kick was whipped into the box from the left. No Canvey defenders were able to get a foot on the ball and Taylor Sinfield was on hand to slot home.

The lead was doubled on 65 minutes when Lee Delf produced an excellent touch in midfield and passed to striker Nathan Dewberry. He turned towards goal and struck a low shot from 25 yards which beat Conor Gough diving to his left and found the net via the inside of the post.

Canvey came close to pulling a goal back on 76 minutes when a looping cross from the right by Tayshan Hayden-Smith found Jack Lampe at the back post. From a tight angle he headed back across goal but his effort hit the top of the crossbar before going behind for a goal kick.

The Gulls created a couple of late chances, but Omar Jomanday’s low shot from distance went wide before a header from a corner was saved by Liam Pitts.