Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Ryman Premier League - 2016/2017
Grays Athletic 2
J. Stuart (37), K. Bishop (86)
Canvey Island 0

Canvey Island were beaten 2-0 away to local rivals and the league's basement side Grays Athletic at Mill Field on Saturday.

Manager Danny Heale handed a full debut to striker Omar Jomanday, while Ryan Buckman recovered from illness to start in central midfield. This allowed Harrison Chatting to move out to the left wing with Ashley Dumas dropping to the bench.

Joining Dumas on the bench was new signing Callum Ibe who joined the club from Southend Manor earlier in the week.

The first chance of the match came after five minutes when Mitchell Gilbey collected the ball on the edge of the area and cleverly flicked it through for Omor Jomanday to run onto down the right wing. Jomanday did well to get past defender Jordan Aghatise before cutting the ball back for George Sykes, who in turn laid it off for Mitchell Gilbey who saw his shot from 10 yards blocked by a defender.

Grays replied with a chance of their own five minutes later when a cross from deep on the right by Ryan Mahal found the head of Kieran Bishop at the back post. The forward had stepped off of Steve Sheehan but sent his header over the crossbar.

Canvey had a shout for a penalty turned down soon afterwards when Omarr Lawson burst into the area, with the ball seeming to strike the arm of a Blues defender. However, neither the referee or his assistant saw an infringement and allowed play to continue, with Lawson firing over from a tight angle.

Omar Jomanday came close to opening his account for the club when he latched onto a through ball to have a run at goal. However, under pressure from a home defender his shot towards the bottom corner was tipped behind for a corner by goalkeeper Amadou Tangara diving low to his right.

Blues winger Harry Watkins had two good chances to break the deadlock in quick succession. First, on 21 minutes he unleashed a powerful shot from 25 yards which only went over the crossbar by a couple of yards.

A minute later a superb cross-field pass from Kwabena Osei by the dugouts on Grays’ left wing found Watkins coming into the area from the right. However, a combination of defender Jake Pitty and goalkeeper Lewis Moore manaher

Grays took the lead on 37 minutes when they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area after John Mbamarah had held an opponent, picking up a yellow card for his troubles. Harry Watkins stood over the ball in a great position to have a strike a goal, but instead rolled a clever ball to his left for player/manager Jamie Stuart to run onto.

The left back’s shot across goal took a deflection off of Steve Sheehan which deceived Lewis Moore and nestled into the bottom corner.

The Gulls responded reasonably well to going behind and had plenty of the ball in the attacking third of the pitch for the remainder of the half without being able to find an equaliser.

Danny Heale made a change a break, bringing on Callum Ibe in place of Harrison Chatting.

The Gulls dominated huge spells of the second half but were unable to get a clean shot on Amadou Tangara’s goal.

The closest they came was on 79 minutes when, under pressure from George Sykes, a Grays defender hooked the ball towards his own goal from six yards forcing Tangara to back pedal sharply in order to prevent an own goal on the line.

Grays sealed their victory with their only shot of the second half in the 86th minute. From a goal kick striker Kieran Bishop managed to race in between John Mbamarah and Jake Pitty, latching onto the ball and slotting across goal and into the bottom corner from 18 yards.