Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Ryman Premier League - 2016/2017
Leatherhead 1
D. Carr (61)
Canvey Island 1
M. Tuohy (7)

Canvey Island came away from Fetcham Grove with a point after a 1-1 draw against fellow-strugglers Leatherhead on Saturday.

On a difficult playing surface, the Gulls missed enough chances to win several games in the first half before finishing the match grateful of holding onto a point.

Manager Danny Heale made four changes from the side that were beaten 5-0 by league leaders Bognor Regis Town a week earlier, with Luca David-Wrightman, Jake Pitty, John Mbamarah and Callum Ibe all dropping to the bench.

In came Steve Sheehan to partner Jahmal Howlett-Mundle in central defence, Martin Tuohy up top alongside George Sykes and Harrison Chatting and Jay Curran on the left and right wings respectively.

Jimmy Bullard’s Leatherhead squad included former-Canvey midfielder Ty Smith in midfield along with ex-Millwall defender Chris Parr on the bench who had trialled with the Gulls during pre-season.

Canvey took the lead on seven minutes when one of the returning players to the starting XI, Martin Tuohy, capitalised on a slip from defender Jerry Nnamani. The forward rounded goalkeeper Louis Wells before poking home into an empty net.

The Gulls preceded to dominate the rest of the half without managing to add to their goal tally.

On 13 minutes Frankie Merrifield slid a perfectly weighted ball through for Harrison Chatting to run onto. Chatting struck a low shot from 18 yards which was under hit and comfortably saved by Louis Wells.

Martin Tuohy went through on goal once again on 23 minutes to the left of goal. His shot towards the bottom corner was saved by Wells diving low to his right, with Jerry Nnamani able to tackle Tuohy and force a corner before he could turn home the rebound.

Tuohy was involved again on 31 minutes as he lofted the ball in behind the Leatherhead defence and onto the chest of George Sykes. The striker superbly brought the ball under control but saw two shots from close range saved by Louis Wells.

Five minutes later Ashley Dumas curled a left-footed free kick through the Leatherhead wall following a handball 20 yards from goal. The ball kept low but went a yard the wrong side of the post.

The home side had their best chance of the half just before the break when Mohammed Sagaf earned his side a corner. The ball found Paul Semakula on the edge of the area who hit a sweetly struck right-footed volley which missed the top corner by a matter of inches.

They had another opportunity two minutes into added time when substitute Salim Nassor unleashed a speculative driven shot from 30 yards which found the target but was saved and held by Conor Gough above his head.

The final kick of the first half should have seen Canvey double their advantage. Omarr Lawson flicked the ball through to George Sykes inside the box, but in an excellent position he saw his shot saved by Wells once again. The ball looped up for Lawson to nod back towards goal but his header was also kept out by the Tanners’ keeper.

Leatherhead improved after the break and had their first sight of goal on 54 minutes when Ty Smith collected a corner 20 yards out and hit a curling right-footed shot across goal which went narrowly wide with Gough beaten diving full to his right.

They drew level on 61 minutes when left winger D’Sean Theobalds drove to the touchline before cutting a low ball across the face of goal for Daniel Carr to poke home from close range.

They nearly scored again 12 minutes later when Theobalds forced Conor Gough into a good save low down by his post. The ball presented itself for Daniel Carr to head goalwards, but fortunately Jahmal Howlett-Mundle was on hand to hook the ball off the line.

Up the other end a rare chance for Canvey came on 76 minutes when a corner went across goal and to the back post where Frankie Merrifield brought the ball under control. However, the midfielder fluffed his lines and drilled his shot into the side netting.

The home side nearly wrapped up all three points with two minutes remaining when Daniel Carr was released in behind the Canvey defence down the right, but his goalbound shot was kept out by the right foot of Conor Gough.