Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Ryman Premier League - 2016/2017
Leiston 4
J. Ainsley (15), N. Muir-Merchant (38), M. Blake (45), B. Lawrence (61)
Canvey Island 0

Canvey Island were heavily beaten by promotion chasing Leiston on Tuesday night, falling to a 4-0 defeat at Victory Road.

Manager Danny Heale made several changes to the side that drew 1-1 away to Harrow Borough on Saturday, with Martin Tuohy, Luca David-Wrightman, John Mbamarah and Harrison Chatting all coming into the starting XI.

Leiston could have taken the lead after only five minutes when a defensive slip allowed the hosts through on goal, but thankfully Steve Sheehan made up ground and was able to clear the shot off of the line.

They did go ahead ten minutes later when Sheehan committed a foul inside the area and a penalty was awarded by referee Josh Few. Lewis Moore did well to save Jack Ainsley’s spot kick, but unfortunately he was unable to keep out Ainsley’s rebound.

It was 2-0 on 38 minutes when Niko Muir-Merchant unleashed a long range effort which found the back of the net.

The game was put beyond Canvey’s reach before half time when a good passing move was finished by Matt Blake to register his 30th goal of the campaign.

The Gulls started the second half well and could have pulled a goal back after three minutes into the restart, but having found space George Sykes’ shot hit the post.

Leiston extended their lead further on 61 minutes when a defensive mix up allowed the ball to run through to Byron Lawrence who finished well to score his third goal against Canvey this season.

Despite trailing heavily Canvey kept going in search of a consolation goal. On 69 minutes Martin Tuohy connected with a stunning overhead kick which thumped the upright and see the woodwork deny the Gulls once again.

Substitute Callum Ibe then came close to scoring his first goal for the club on 77 minutes, but having gone through one on one with goalkeeper Jacob Marsden he drilled his shot into the side netting.

Canvey’s final chance to get themselves on the scoresheet came in injury time when Omarr Lawson collected the ball on the edge of the six-yard box, but he could only manage to steer his shot over the bar.