Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Ryman Premier League - 2016/2017
Canvey Island 2
R. Blackman (35p), S. Thomas (53)
Worthing 0

Canvey Island made it three wins in a row at The Frost Financial Stadium on Tuesday night, beating Worthing 2-0 with a confident performance.

The Gulls were beaten 5-0 by the same opposition two months previously but made amends with a goal in either half along to compliment a clean sheet.

Manager Danny Heale made one change from the side that beat Wingate & Finchley on Saturday, replacing the injured Jake Pitty with Gabby Adelowo. George Allen however recovered from a shoulder complaint to take his place in central defence alongside Steve Sheehan.

Worthing meanwhile were not helped by traffic on the M25 which meant that they arrived half an hour before kick off.

Canvey started the match well, exerting plenty of pressure on the Worthing goal and forcing several corners without being able to test goalkeeper Kieron Thorp.

The first real chance of the match then fell to the visitors on 18 minutes when Reece Hallard played a through ball for forward Louis Clark to run onto down the left. Clark got into the area but Conor Gough did well to steal possession at his feet with an outstretched arm.

The Gulls had their first shot on target two minutes later when Simon Thomas played a short pass to Manny Oyeleke 25 yards from goal. The Aldershot midfielder took the ball to the edge of the area before hitting a low shot towards the bottom corner which was saved by goalkeeper Kieron Thorp.

On 22 minutes a rare mistake from George Allen saw the defender allow the ball to bounce inside his own half which was capitalised on by Louis Clark who advanced towards goal with Allen and Dumas in chase. Clark was forced wide by Conor Gough which allowed the two Canvey players to catch him.

Ashley Dumas managed to nick possession, but not before George Allen fouled his opponent. Referee Carl Pearse reached for his pocket but only produced a yellow card due to the fact that Dumas had prevented Allen from being the last man.

Brannon O’Neill stood over the free kick 20 yards from goal on the right, hitting a decent free kick across goal which clipped off the outside of the post and went behind for a goal kick.

On 32 minutes Mitchell Gilbey delivered a tempting ball into the area from just inside the Worthing half on the right wing. George Sykes rose well to steer a header on target but straight at Kieron Thorp who was able to save and hold.

Canvey took the lead on 35 minutes in fortuitous circumstances when Jack Cook was penalised for handball inside the box despite the ball appearing to strike the defender on the chest. Captain Ryan Blackman took responsibility for the spot kick, driving the ball straight down the middle of the goal to put his side in front.

It was nearly 2-0 five minutes later when Ashley Dunas delivered a dangerous free kick into the area from the left wing. The ball landed at the feet of George Sykes who flicked it goalwards, only for Kieron Thorp to tip the ball behind diving low to his right.

Worthing had a golden chance to equalise on the stroke of half time when the ball was played through to Louis Clark after a swift counter attack. Clark ran towards goal from the right hand side of the area but smashed his effort over the bar with only Conor Gough to beat.

Leading 1-0 at the break, Canvey came out of the traps quickly in the second half and created two early opportunities. Inside a minute of the restart Simon Thomas turned a defender inside the area leaving him on the ground. However, caught in two minds between shooting and squaring for George Sykes, Thomas took too long and saw his eventual shot blocked by a defender.

Soon afterwards Ashley Dumas played an excellent diagonal ball from his position at left back when found the run of Mitchell Gilbey on the opposite flank. Gilbey took the ball in his stride, bursting into the area but shooting wide attempting to beat the keeper at his near post.

Conor Gough was called into action on 50 minutes when a free kick from the left wing found defender Jack Cook unmarked at the back post. Cook steered the ball towards goal with his right foot but Gough made himself big to block the effort with his chest and concede a corner.

Manny Oyeleke found the target on 52 minutes from 20 yards after Mitchell Gilbey had laid it off to him from the edge of the area. Oyeleke kept his shot down but Kieron Thorp was able to save above his head.

Thorp however could do nothing about Canvey’s second goal a minute later. Another superb free kick into the area by Ashley Dumas, this time from deep on the right wing, was met with a glancing header from Simon Thomas which sent the ball across goal and into the bottom corner to double the advantage.

Dumas delivered a similarly good ball into the area from a near identical position on 65 minutes, this time finding the head of George Sykes at the back post who nodded inches over the top corner.

The visitors were reduced to ten men with 15 minutes to play when Kane Wills tripped Steve Sheehan as the defender looked to break out of defence. Wills had already been booked for a foul earlier in the half and left referee Carl Pearse little choice but to produce a second yellow followed by a red.

Canvey had further chances to add to the scoring in the latter stages, with George Sykes having a shot from a Marlon Agyakwa cross saved before Jay Curran headed over after a good ball in from Manny Oyeleke.

The victory sees Canvey climb out of the relegation places with a huge Essex derby against fellow strugglers Grays Athletic at The Frost Financial Stadium on Saturday.

Photo: Holly Allison

Joe Keith Post-Match Interview with Simon Pitts