Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Bostik North - 2017/2018
Canvey Island 0
Patro Eisden Maasmechelen 2
G. Tsirlidis (20), J. Houbregs (50)

Canvey Island were beaten 2-0 by Belgian third tier side Patro Eisden Maasmechelen at The Frost Financial Stadium on Friday night.

The visitors were very impressive both on and off the pitch, fielding different sides in each half with their oldest player being 23 years old.

The Gulls came out of the traps quickly, taking the opposition by surprise and forcing a corner straight from the kick off.

However, it wasn’t long before the Belgian side got themselves on top of proceedings.

On seven minutes Conor Gough did well to race off of his line and clear the ball before striker Georgios Tsirlidis could latch onto a through ball in behind the Canvey defence.

Tsirlidis was involved again five minutes later when he connected with an overhead kick following a cross from the left wing. However, his effort was drilled into the ground which allowed Conor Gough the chance to collect the loose ball.

The forward finally got his goal on 20 minutes when he beat a couple of defenders before placing a low shot into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Canvey registered their first shot on target on 23 minutes when the ball fell to the feet of David Knight inside the area, but his shot through a crowd of players was saved by Oguzhan Demirci.

Knight had another chance on 28 minutes when he robbed the keeper of possession on the edge of his area. The forward was driven wide but managed to get his shot off from a tight angle which Demirci recovered well to keep out.

It was nearly 2-0 on 33 minutes when Diyar Acik sent over a dangerous cross from the right towards Maxime Cosse. Jerrome Sobers managed to glance the ball on with his head, deflecting it enough to ensure the forward steered his shot wide of the target from close range.

They came even close three minutes later when Alan Wanya burst into the area from the right, shooting across goal but seeing his effort hit the upright.

With the score 1-0 at the break, Patro Eisden changed all ten outfield players for the second half.

The new look side wasted no time in making an impression, doubling their advantage five minutes into the second half with a disappointing goal for Canvey to concede. Finley Wielemans’ free kick from the right wing to the back post found Jean-Michel Houbregs at the back post, leaving him with the simple task of slotting home from six yards.

They had other opportunities to add to the scoring, but on both occasions Conor Gough was equal to the effort.

On 67 minutes the tall keeper parried a powerful shot from Virgile Bolliet, and on 84 minutes he came off his line to prevent Lagrib Hamza from finding the net.

Canvey had their best chances as the game drew towards its conclusion. On 87 minutes James Walker did well to bring a long ball forwards under control, holding off a defender before hitting a well struck shot which Oguzhan Demirci managed to beat away.

Soon afterwards a similarly long ball, this time down the left side of the area, found striker Joel Barnett whose first time shot went across goal and inches wide.

Match Photos by Kieran Argent/KJA Sports Images can be found here.