Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Bostik North - 2017/2018
Canvey Island 0
Concord Rangers 3
J. Cox (3), J. Cox (33), J. Cox (65)

A hattrick from Jordan Cox condemned Canvey to a 3-0 defeat against fellow islanders Concord Rangers at The Frost Financial Stadium on Tuesday night.

There were a number of familiar faces around, with former-Canvey keeper Tim Brown between the sticks for Concord and Sam Collins captaining the Gulls against his previous club.

Concord took the lead after only three minutes when a counter attack down the left wing saw the ball played infield to Jordan Cox who was 20 yards from goal in a central position. He struck a low shot which caught a deflection off of Frankie Merrifield and beat Conor Gough to find the bottom corner.

Canvey responded well to conceding so early on and nearly equalised in the eighth minute. James Walker did well to hold the ball up in the area, playing it through to David Knight who dug out a cross to the back post from the right. The ball found Teddy Nesbitt in acres of space, but his well struck volley flew inches over the crossbar.

Back up the other end Jordan Cox almost turned from goal scorer to provider when he latched onto the ball down the right which he drilled low into the area for strike partner Steve Cawley, but he uncharacteristically drove his shot wide of the upright.

On 25 minutes the Gulls were awarded a free kick in the middle of the park, 25 yards from goal. David Knight stepped up and curled the deadball over the wall and back down again but the wrong side of the post with Tim Brown diving full to his left.

Knight was involved again four minutes later when the ball was chested down for him by his fellow striker James Walker. Knight struck a good first time shot with his left foot which left Brown rooted to the spot.

Concord doubled their lead on 33 minutes when a ball pumped into the area from the right was allowed to bounce and found its way through to Jordan Cox who outjumped Steve Sheehan to nod the ball over Conor Gough and into the back of the net.

The final chance of the half fell to Canvey as David Knight delivered a free kick into the area from the left wing which found the head of George Sykes, but his effort went a yard wide of the post.

The visitors came out the traps quickly in the second half as Jordan Brown whipped in a cross from deep on left wing which was flicked across goal and wide by Jordan Cox who was all by himself inside the box.

Canvey survived this early scare and started to create some chances of their own. On 55 minutes a good cross from the left wing from Albert Levett found Mitchell Gilbey who was lurking on the penalty spot, but his volley went over the bar.

A minute later George Sykes went on one of his trademark runs, bursting into the area from the left and beating two defenders but drilling his shot into the side netting.

The result was sealed on 65 minutes when Kyron Farrell played a low ball across the face of goal which Jordan Cox was able to poke home to complete his hattrick.

He could have had another soon after when he was left completely unmarked inside the area, but his header went across goal and wide with only Gough to beat.

The closest Canvey came to pulling a goal back came on 71 minutes when Tim Brown failed to make contact with a Sam Collins corner, but Steve Sheehan’s subsequent header back across goal went wide of the top corner.

The final chance of the evening came on 76 minutes when Kyron Farrell sprung the offside and headed towards goal, but Conor Gough did well to come off his line and block the shot.

Photo: Kieran Argent / KJA Sports Images

Danny Heale Post-Match Interview with Simon Pitts