Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Bostik North - 2017/2018
Great Wakering Rovers 1
A. Vyse (59)
Canvey Island 2
A. Levett (11), C. Ibe (67)

Canvey Island got their pre-season campaign off to a winning start with a 2-1 victory against Essex Senior League side Great Wakering Rovers on Tuesday night.

The Gulls were missing a number of players including Sam Collins, David Knight and Steve Sheehan, but in the end were able to edge a match that was played in heavy rain from start to finish.

Wakering came close to scoring a fortuitous opener after seven minutes when Adam Vyse sent over a cross 20 yards from goal on the right wing. The ball looped over Conor Gough and towards goal but thankfully hit the crossbar.

Canvey took the lead on 11 minutes when Ryan Charles drove in from the left wing and crossed low into the box for Callum Ibe to bring under control. The striker laid the ball off for Albert Levett who shot across goal with his right foot from 20 yards which found the inside side netting despite goalkeeper Matt Belcher getting a hand to the ball.

The home side had two chances in as many minutes half way through the first half. First a cross from the left found the head of Adam Vyse who directed the ball towards the top corner. However, Conor Gough did brilliantly to fling himself high and claw it behind with his right hand.

A minute later Canvey were caught napping in defence and allowed no.9 to be played through on goal down the middle of the pitch. However, as he broke into the area and pulled the trigger he was denied thanks to a superb sliding block tackle from Jerrome Sobers.

Callum Ibe saw a shot from a tight angle turned behind by the keeper on 26 minutes having cut in from the right. He was involved again five minutes later, closing down Matt Belcher after he had failed to hold a shot from Ryan Charles but arriving half a second two late as the keeper claimed at the second attempt.

On 34 minutes an error from Ashley Dumas saw him attempt to play a ball which had been pumped forward back to Conor Gough, but under pressure was robbed of possession by the Rovers’ no.10. The forward headed towards goal but was driven wide and saw his eventual shot from a tight angle hit the chest of Conor Gough and go behind for a corner.

Soon afterwards Mitchell Gilbey hit a well struck right-footed shot from 25 yards which looked to be curling into the bottom corner. However, the Wakering keeper had other ideas and did well to turn the shot wide after diving full to his left.

The hosts equalised on 59 minutes when Adam Vyse scored the goal that his performance had merited. Shooting low from the corner of the area from on the right, his shot seemed catch a deflection and nestle into the far corner despite Conor Gough getting a hand to the ball.

The Gulls were back in front eight minutes later when Callum Ibe headed home from close range after Mitchell Gilbey’s free kick had been tipped onto the crossbar. Ibe had a one-on-one shot saved by Belcher a couple of minutes earlier, but this time had the simple job of heading into an unguarded net after Gilbey’s excellent strike from 25 yards.

On 85 minutes former-Southend United youngster Perry Hirst collected a neat flick from James Walker on the edge of the area and drilled a shot across goal towards the bottom corner. The keeper managed to pull off a save, but the ball was kept alive by Callum Ibe whose follow up effort was also kept out.

With the match approaching its conclusion the full time whistle was blown a couple of minutes early following a nasty head injury to Callum Ibe who remained on the ground for over five minutes receiving treatment before eventually walking off the pitch with help.