Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Bostik North - 2017/2018
Canvey Island 2
D. Knight (19p), D. Knight (25)
Manford Way 1
L. Wynter (79)

Canvey Island beat Essex Olympian League side Manford Way 2-1 at The Frost Financial Stadium on Tuesday night.

The visitors gave Danny Heale's side a good game, coming close to coming back from 2-0 down to earn a result in the second half.

The Gulls didn’t waste any time getting on the attack, with Steve Sheehan heading onto the roof of the net from a Mitchell Gilbey free kick inside two minutes.

On seven minutes David Knight got to the touchline on the left and attempted to find Gilbey for a tap in at the back post. However, goalkeeper Rich Insole did well to divert the ball away from danger at his near post.

Soon afterwards a cross from a similar position from Callum Ibe was inches away from being headed home by James Walker who was inside the six yard box.

The woodwork was struck on 16 minutes when Mitchell Gilbey delivered a good free kick from the right which found the head of Callum Ibe in amongst a crowd of players. Ibe directed his header goalwards which ricocheted off of the foot of the post before being cleared to safety.

Canvey opened the scoring on 19 minutes when Jake Pitty played a raking ball forwards from the right back position which released David Knight in behind the Manford Way defence. The forward skipped the ball past Rich Insole, forcing the keeper to bring him down and concede a penalty.

Knight picked himself up and converted the spot kick high into the goal to Insole’s left to score his first goal in Canvey colours.

It was 2-0 six minutes later when Teddy Nesbitt’s ball from deep on the left found the head of James Walker who was lurking on the penalty spot. Walker nodded the ball down for strike partner David Knight who duly slotted home his second of the evening from close range.

As the first half drew towards a close Canvey did their best to gift Manford Way a route back into the match.

On 42 minutes and under hit back pass from Steve Sheehan was nearly capitalised upon by Reece Tranter, but Conor Gough was alert to rush from his line and clear the danger on the edge of the area just before Tranter could get a touch.

Tranter had another chance less than a minute later when Sheehan lost possession after a difficult ball to control was played back to him, but this time the forward stabbed his shot wide of the target with Gough closing him down.

Leading 2-0 at the break, Canvey should have extended their lead eight minutes into the second half when Sam Collins was played in behind the visiting defence inside the area. Collins cut the ball back for David Knight, but he had two goalbound shots well blocked by defender Jamal Allen.

On 66 minutes Manford Way came as close to finding the net when substitute Louis Wynter had a shot from the right side of the penalty area which went across goal and narrowly missed the bottom corner.

Wynter went one better on 79 minutes when he grabbed a consolation goal for his side. Andre Gumbs played a low ball into the box from the left which found the run off Wynter and saw him tuck home from close range.

The visitors thought they’d equalised two minutes later when a corner was headed goalwards at the front post. However, while Manford Way claimed the goal the ball was adjudged not to have crossed the line by the assistant referee.

On 84 minutes a perfectly weighted ball from the left from the outside of George Sykes’ right boot allowed David Knight a clear run at goal. However, on a hattrick Knight attempted to round the keeper, but in doing so spurned the opportunity.

He was able to hold onto possession, putting the ball back into the area for George Sykes to head across goal and narrowly wide.

Photo: Kieran Argent / KJA Sports Images