Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Bostik North - 2017/2018
Cheshunt 3
J. Hallett (55), D. Cheema (60), M. Summers (70)
Canvey Island 3
G. Sykes (3), J. Walker (80), A. Dumas (90)

Canvey Island came back from 3-1 down with ten minutes to play to draw 3-3 away to Cheshunt on Saturday.

Danny Heale started with Jerrome Sobers for the first time this season who partnered Steve Sheehan in central defence. Ashley Dumas moved to his more familiar position of left back and Teddy Nesbitt moved up field to the lef

The Gulls took the lead with only three minutes on the clock when they were awarded a free kick just inside the Cheshunt half. George Craddock played a quick free kick short to David Knight who in turn showed great vision to pick out George Sykes 25 yards from goal. This caught the home defence napping and allowed Sykes to place his shot into the bottom corner from just inside the area.

It was nearly 2-0 on 12 minutes when Mitchell Gilbey delivered an excellent cross from deep on the right wing to the back post. The cross picked out David Knight who connected with a header back across goal which was kept out thanks to a good stop from goalkeeper James May diving to his left.

Cheshunt’s first chance came on 17 minutes when a swift counter attack saw the ball played low across the edge of the area from the right. Jason Hallett allowed the ball to run by for winger Johnny Ashman who had kept up with the attack down the left, but his powerful strike was turned over the crossbar by Henry Newcombe.

Three minutes later a cross from the right wing found Jason Hallett at the back post, but his header from a good area went wide of the target under pressure from Jerrome Sobers and Steve Sheehan.

On 23 minutes a flick from inside the area from Mitchell Gilbey found his former-East Thurrock United teammate George Craddock who was entering the box with a well-timed run. Craddock’s shot looked goalwards but was prevented from hitting the target courtesy of a crucial block from defender JJ Da Cruz.

Cheshunt had a chance to equalise on 27 minutes after a period of pressure finished with Mark Summers being played through on goal down the right. The forward got himself just into the area before pulling the trigger, but Henry Newcombe did well to turn the shot behind for a corner diving to his left.

There was controversy in the first of three additional minutes at the end of the first half when Tom Bruno flew in with a two-footed challenge on Jake Pitty inside the area. However, neither the referee nor his assistant saw the tackle as dangerous and Bruno escaped a potential red card.

Leading 1-0 at the break, Canvey nearly doubled their advantage on 50 minutes when Steve Sheehan got his head to a corner was unlucky to watch his effort hit the inside of the post before being cleared.

Canvey were made to pay for this near miss four minutes later when a ball over the top found Jason Hallett onside. Henry Newcombe came off his line and shut Hallett down, but the forward showed good awareness to back heel the ball towards goal. Jake Pitty tried to keep it out on the line but was unable to prevent it from crossing the line.

They nearly scored again almost immediately when Johnny Ashman hit a shot from the left wing which went across goal and narrowly wide of the top corner.

Cheshunt did take the lead on the hour mark when the ball was switched to the right wing where Daniel Cheema was in acres of space. He ran into the area and placed an accurate shot across goal and into the bottom corner.

It was 3-1 with 20 minutes remaining when Cheema had a similar chance to score, but this time his shot caught a deflection off a defender. However, this set the ball up perfectly for Mark Summers to score a tap in from close range.

Things could have been worse in the 80th minute when the influential Daniel Cheema gained possession in a central area 25 yards from goal and unleashed a tremendous shot which rattled the crossbar.

Henry Newcombe gathered the loose ball and launched an attack down the right which ended with the ball being played into the box for substitute James Walker. The ball was slightly ahead of the forward but he was able to score with his outstretched right leg.

Canvey threw bodies forward in search of an equaliser but it looked as though it wasn’t to be. The closest they came in the regulation 90 minutes was through Mitchell Gilbey, but his shot from the edge of the box towards the bottom corner saved by James May.

Soon afterwards Daniel Cheema took advantage of Canvey’s lack of defensive numbers to break down the right and send over a cross which Kyle Roberts should have headed home from close range.

Just when it looked as though the game was lost, Canvey equalised in the fourth minute of injury time. Jake Pitty delivered a free kick into the area from deep on the right wing which Jerrome Sobers managed to flick on with his head. Ashley Dumas poked the ball towards goal which James May saved, but with no defenders reacting to the situation the left back was able to pick himself up and smash home the rebound.

Canvey came so close to dramatically winning the game a minute later when first James Walker had a shot saved by James May, and seconds later Ashley Dumas had a goalbound shot headed off the line by a defender.

The full time whistle sounded immediately afterwards to bring to an end a highly entertaining encounter.