Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Bostik North - 2017/2018
Canvey Island 4
M. Gilbey (42), G. Craddock (56), G. Sykes (74), G. Sykes (80)
Dereham Town 1
D. Hinton (88)

Canvey Island produced their best performance of the season on Tuesday night, beating Dereham Town 4-1 at The Frost Hire Stadium.

The Gulls scored the all-important first goal just before the interval and used this as a launch pad to score three more in the second half.

Manager Danny Heale made three changes from the side that drew 2-2 away to Soham Town Rangers on Saturday, bringing in Jerrome Sobers, Mitchell Gilbey and Ryan Charles in the place of Elliott Warren, Charlie Cole and Teddy Nesbitt.

The first chance of the evening came on the fourth minute when Dereham captain David Hinton took the ball into the area before laying it off for Rhys Logan. The midfielder hit a low shot towards the bottom corner which Henry Newcombe turned around the post for a corner diving to his left.

Up the other end Steve Sheehan got his head to a George Craddock corner on eight minutes but put his effort over the crossbar.

Canvey were forced into a change on 21 minutes when Jerrome Sobers suffered a reoccurrence of the stomach muscle injury he sustained in the victory away to Waltham Abbey ten days earlier, being replaced by Elliott Warren.

Warren nearly opened the scoring three minutes after coming on when the Gulls were awarded a corner. George Craddock’s ball to the near post found Sam Collins, but with his back to goal he played it back out to Craddock to have another go. This time his cross found the head of Warren who had risen ahead of the keeper, but he was unable to keep his effort down from close range.

David Hinton came close for the visitors on 35 minutes when he pulled the trigger just outside the area from a central position. However, his shot through a crowd of players caught a deflection off of a Canvey foot and went a yard wide for a corner.

Canvey took the lead on 42 minutes when George Sykes gained possession on the left, just inside the box. The forward survived an attempted tackle to keep hold of the ball, looking up and squaring for Mitchell Gilbey to convert from close range.

Gilbey was involved again three minutes into the second half when he dribbled into the box, keeping hold of the ball initially before being tackled. The danger wasn’t over however as George Craddock collected the loose ball, but his shot flew over the top corner.

Danny Beaumont nearly levelled for Dereham on 54 minutes when he flashed a shot across goal from the left, but Henry Newcombe did brilliantly to turn it behind diving low to his left.

This save was to prove even more important two minutes later when Canvey doubled their advantage after an excellent move.

Ashley Dumas played the ball from the left into the feet of George Sykes on the edge of the area, although with his back to goal and being tightly marked he was forced to retreat. However, Sykes kept hold of possession and chipped a good cross into the area which Mitchell Gilbey chested down for George Craddock to tuck away.

Dereham pushed numbers forward in search of a way back into the match, but in doing so left gaps at the back for Canvey to exploit.

On 64 minutes George Sykes nutmegged right back Steve Taylor on the edge of the area, being blocked from continuing his run but instead playing the ball into the path of Sam Collins. The Gulls’ captain played a low ball across the face of goal which found Mitchell Gilbey, but he was denied from inside the six yard box by a tremendous stop from Elliot Pride.

Mitchell Gilbey and Sykes both had chances soon afterwards one on one with Elliot Pride, but on both occasions the Dereham keeper won the ball to nick the ball at the feet of the Canvey men.

The result was finally secured on 74 minutes when Sam Collins unlocked the Magpies’ defence with a through ball which George Sykes ran onto after timing his run perfectly in order to stay onside. Sykes showed great composure to round the keeper and slot into an empty net.

Sykes scored again six minutes later when he was found by substitute strike partner Charlie Cole. The forward turned Steve Taylor and drove towards goal before placing a shot into the bottom corner.

Dereham scored a consolation goal with two minutes of normal time remaining when Danny Beaumont’s cross was chested down at the back post for David Hinton. The midfielder was unmarked and struck an unstoppable shot high into the net via the underside of the crossbar.

Danny Heale Post-Match Interview with Simon Pitts