Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Bostik North - 2017/2018
Walton Casuals 3
J. Kelly (45), L. Sarpong (54), L. Sarpong (61)
Canvey Island 0

Canvey Island’s poor form in cup competitions continued as they exited the Buildbase FA Trophy at the first hurdle on Saturday, losing 3-0 away to Bostik South outfit Walton Casuals.

On the 3G pitch at the new Elmbridge Xcel Sports Hub, the Gulls' defensive frailties were exposed to ensure that they have now failed to win a cup match in three attempts this season despite topping the league table

With no fresh injury concerns, manager Danny Heale was able to name the same side that defeated Tilbury 6-2 on Tuesday night.

The first chance of the match came in the seventh minute when Mitchell Gilbey was fouled 30 yards from goal. He played a quick free kick for Jake Pitty to run onto down the right, with the defender whipping in a good cross to the back post.

A defender got his foot to the ball, but in doing so presented it to Sam Collins who flashes a low ball across the face of goal. Teddy Nesbitt slid in and was inches away from getting the touch that would have resulted in a certain goal.

Four minutes later a well weighted ball over the Stags defence from Frankie Merrifield found the run of Mitchell Gilbey, and after beating a defender he sent over a cross from the left. The cross was heading into the top corner, but goalkeeper Denzel Gerrar did well to claw it out from underneath his crossbar.

The loose ball fell to Sam Collins on the edge of the six yard box, but on poking it through for George Sykes the assistant referee raised his flag to indicate that the striker was offside.

Walton Casuals’ nearly took the lead on 15 minutes when Sean McCormack got in behind Ashley Dumas down the right wing. He sent over an inch perfect cross which found the head of Josh Kelly, but his effort from point blank range was miraculously saved by Henry Newcombe diving low to his right.

Canvey were soon back on the attack, coming close again in the 20th minute. A short corner was played back to George Craddock who delivered it into the box from deep, with the ball landing at the feet of Steve Sheehan six yards from goal. However, rather than an out and out shot, instead the ball seemed to strike the centre back and allow Gerrar to save diving low to his right.

The match then entered a quiet period in which both teams seemed to lack quality in the final third.

This changed when Walton Casuals took the lead with the last kick of the first half. Sean McCormack’s low ball across the face of goal from the right found Josh Kelly, and this time he was able to tuck his chance away from two yards out.

The home side scores again nine minutes into the second half when the ball was clipped over the Canvey defence from the right and found striker Lartey Sarpong in space. Sarpong lobbed the ball over the on rushing Henry Newcombe who fouled his man, but the ball went in anyway to double the Stags’ advantage.

It was game over on 61 minutes when Ashley Dumas was tackled out on the touchline having attempted to start an attack down the left wing. A low pass across the edge of the area found Lartey Sarpong who took a touch before finding the bottom corner for his second of the afternoon, beating Henry Newcombe diving to his left.

Danny Heale made all of his substitutions with just over 20 minutes to play in an attempt to get back into the match. On came James Walker, Ryan Charles and Harry Norman in place of Elliott Warren, Frankie Merrifield and George Craddock.

However, other than shots from outside the area from Mitchell Gilbey and Ryan Charles, Gilbey’s being comfortably saved and Charles’ going a yard wide, the substitutions didn’t give Canvey the immediate attacking impetus they would have hoped for.

The closest they came was with four minutes of normal time remaining with Mitchell Gilbey held onto possession on the right wing before sliding a good ball for Jake Pitty to run onto on the overlap. Pitty squared a low pass into the area for George Sykes whose first time shot from 10 yards went inches over the bar.