Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Bostik North - 2017/2018
Canvey Island 0
Potters Bar Town 3
E. Casey (29), L. OLeary (32), S. Brown (84)

Canvey Island conceded three times from corners to fall to a comprehensive 3-0 defeat at the hands of Potters Bar Town at a chilly Frost Hire Stadium on Saturday.

The Gulls looked off the pace throughout and were punished three times from set pieces.

Manager Danny Heale named the same side that beat Haringey Borough five days earlier, with Ryan Melaugh returning to the squad after injury to take his place on the bench.

In the fifth minute Jake Pitty won a 50/50 tackle on the right wing, going in with a solid challenge against Sandro Costa and coming away with the ball. Pitty advanced towards goal before shooting left-footed from 25 yards, but his effort was high and wide to ensure that his wait for his first Canvey goal would continue.

On 12 minutes a Mitchell Gilbey corner was cleared by the Potters Bar defence, but Teddy Nesbitt was able to regain possession on the edge of the centre circle inside opposition territory. Nesbitt chipped it back into the box and found the chest of Sheehan who was onside, but Steve Brown was able to head the danger away before Sheehan could get a shot off from close range.

The visitors registered their first shot on target on 18 minutes when they were awarded a free kick 25 yards out in a central position after a foul by Jerrome Sobers. Michael Murray curled a low shot around the wall but Ashlee Jones was able to save diving low to his left.

The Scholars took the lead on 29 minutes when Eoin Casey wriggled his way past Jerrome Sobers and into the area. Steve Sheehan came to the rescue to block Casey’s shot and put it behind for a corner. Michael Murray swung into a dangerous area and found the head of Casey eight yards from goal, and this time nobody in yellow could prevent his effort from hitting the back of the net.

It was 2-0 in similar circumstances three minutes later as the Gulls failed to cope with the quality of the visitors’ set pieces.

First a low corner was played to the edge of the area for Michael Murray to strike, with his low effort instead finding teammate Sean Grace unmarked standing on the penalty spot. Grace had plenty of time to look up and pick his spot, but having placed a high shot to Ashlee Jones’ left he was denied by a headed goal line block by Jake Pitty which forced the ball behind.

However, Pitty’s brilliant defensive work counted for nothing from the resulting corner as Michael Murray’s ball to near post found the perfectly timed run of former-Gull Lee O’Leary who scored with a glancing header which crept inside the upright.

Trailing by two goals at the break, Canvey had a shout for a penalty on 55 minutes when George Sykes sent over a cross from the left wing towards half time substitute James Walker. The forward appeared to be bundled over inside the box attempting to get his head to the ball, but referee Richard Carter was not interested and allowed play to continue.

Soon afterwards a sliced clearance from goalkeeper Ashlee Jones gave possession to Femi Ogunsola, and with a neat piece of skill he flicked the ball over Steve Sheehan before playing a low ball from the right to the near post. Lee O’Leary slid in but sent his shot over the bar from close range.

A minute later up the other end the ball landed at the feet of Jerrome Sobers inside the area following a corner. The tall defender did well to skip the ball past a defender and shot low towards the bottom corner, but Berkley Laurencin was perfectly placed to make the save.

On 61 minutes a mass confrontation took place inside the Potters Bar penalty which involved all 22 players. The officials took their time to compare notes before the referee brandished yellow cards to Steve Sheehan and George Craddock for Canvey and Femi Ogunsola and Steve Brown for Potters Bar.

The closest Canvey came to scoring was on 82 minutes when Sam Collins sent over a free kick from the right wing. Ryan Charles got his head to the ball which looked to be heading before a block from a defender.

Potters Bar launched a counter attack immediately which saw Sandro Costa play the ball through to Femi Ogunsola. He bore down on goal from the right but Ashlee Jones did brilliantly to save diving down by his post and force a corner.

The points were sealed from the subsequent corner, with the visitors taking advantage of Canvey’s defensive disorganisation from set pieces for the third time. This time the ball was sent deep to the back post where Steve Brown was on hand to volley home unopposed from close range.

Photo: KJA Sports Images

Danny Heale Post-Match Interview with Simon Pitts