Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Bostik North - 2017/2018
Bury Town 2
J. Lankester (47), T. Allen (71)
Canvey Island 1
M. Gilbey (82)

Canvey Island made it four away matches without a win following a 2-1 defeat against Bury Town at Ram Meadow on Saturday.

On a bitterly cold and snowy afternoon, the Gulls dominated the first half without scoring and were made to pay after the break, despite rallying late on and nearly snatching a point.

Manager Danny Heale named the same side that had beaten Brentwood Town 5-0 during midweek, while former-Canvey midfielder John Kennedy was on the bench of the hosts.

Canvey started well and had a good chance to open the scoring after only four minutes. Mitchell Gilbey took a quick throw to find George Sykes, but having gotten past a defender his shot from the right was turned behind for a corner by goalkeeper Luis Tibbles.

Tibbles was called into action again on 22 minutes when George Craddock played a through ball in behind the Bury defence trying to find the run of Mitchell Gilbey. However, Tibbles was alert to the danger and raced off his line, getting to the ball a split second before Gilbey and smashing it out of play for a throw.

Five minutes later Canvey were awarded a free kick out on the right wing following a foul on Mitchell Gilbey. With the box full of bodies, George Craddock instead went for goal from a tight angle and forced Tibbles to save diving high to his left.

The Gulls nearly took the lead on the stroke of half time when Ryan Charles set off on a run down the left wing. Having gotten to the touchline Charles chipped a cross to the back post which landed at the feet of Mitchell Gilbey, but his low shot across goal missed creeping in at the far post by a matter of inches.

Bury Town got their noses in front two minutes into the second half, moments after George Sykes had had a goal ruled out for offside up the other end. From the free kick a simple ball dissected the Canvey defence and found former-Ipswich Town youth team player Jack Lankester who beat a defender before steering a shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Canvey came close to drawing level on 64 minutes when an aerial ball to the edge of the area found the head of George Sykes. He flicked the ball beyond the home defence and found the run of George Craddock, but his shot was brilliantly saved by Luis Tibbles diving high to his right.

The hosts extended their advantage on 71 minutes when a cross from the left wing was allowed to bounce inside the box and found it’s way to the back post where Tevan Allen was on hand to convert from close range.

With just under ten minutes to play Canvey manager Danny Heale introduced Martin Tuohy in place of George Sykes, and the forward made an immediate impact a minute later.

Tuohy’s through ball found George Craddock, but after he had been crowded out the loose ball was fired home from 18 yards by Mitchell Gilbey with a low shot to give the Gulls a lifeline.

The golden chance to grab a point came on 84 minutes when Ryan Charles set off on a run down the right wing, cutting the ball back for Martin Tuohy to strike from just inside the area. Tuohy’s shot beat the keeper but was diverted over the crossbar by the knee of Tevan Allen who had shown great awareness to drop back onto the goal line.

Canvey flooded forwards but were unable to create another goalscoring opportunity, with Bury seeing the game out in professional fashion.

The defeat was Canvey's eighth out of nine visits to Ram Meadow in what has become a very unhappy hunting ground for the Gulls.

Danny Heale Post-Match Interview with Simon Pitts