Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Bostik North - 2017/2018
Canvey Island 5
R. Charles (4), G. Craddock (33), S. Collins (59), F. Merrifield (80), M. Tuohy (87)
Brentwood Town 0

Canvey Island returned to winning ways with a comprehensive 5-0 victory against Brentwood Town at The Frost Hire Stadium on Tuesday night.

Rain fell heavily but stopped ahead of kick off, leaving a slick playing surface which was in great condition considering the recent weather.

Manager Danny Heale made one change from the side that were beaten 1-0 by AFC Hornchurch on Saturday, bringing in Ryan Charles in place of James Walker.

Canvey created the first chance of the evening inside the opening minute when they were awarded a corner. The ball into the box found the defender George Allen whose downwards header was saved by goalkeeper Anthony Page and held at the second attempt.

The Gulls took the lead in the fourth minute when Ryan Charles cut inside from the right wing, striking a low shot across goal. Anthony Page dived to his right and got a hand to the ball, but he was unable to prevent the ball from nestling in the bottom corner.

Canvey had two goals ruled out for offside before Mitchell Gilbey had a good chance to double the lead on 22 minutes. Gilbey drove at centre back Harry Gibbs down the left, jinking his way infield and to the edge of the box before pulling the trigger. However, his shot was straight at Anthony Page who was able to make the save.

Sam Collins found the target with a free kick on the half hour mark after Brentwood’s Alfie Hinton was cautioned for pulling a Canvey shirt. In trademark fashion, Collins took a long run up before putting his laces through the ball and hitting a low shot towards the bottom corner which Anthony Page kept out diving to his left.

It was 2-0 three minutes later when Mitchell Gilbey ran into the penalty area from the right, pulling his shot across goal but instead finding George Craddock who was able to slot home from close range.

The points were effectively sealed in the 59th minute when Canvey were awarded a free kick right on the edge of the box in a central position after a foul by Lewis Brown. Sam Collins stepped up and coolly slotted the free kick home almost as if it were a penalty.

Ryan Charles was causing problems for Brentwood and created two good chances for his teammates in the final quarter of the match.

On 71 minutes he squared for George Craddock to shoot from the edge of the box, but his effort went narrowly wide of the upright.

Six minutes later Charles sent over an excellent cross from the left wing which found Frankie Merrifield at the back post. He shot first time on the volley, but his effort was straight at Anthony Page who saved.

The Gulls scored twice more in the final ten minutes of the match to earn a scoreline which reflected the one-sided nature of the match.

On 80 minutes a good corner from George Craddock found the head of Frankie Merrifield, and he rose well to power the ball home for his third of the season.

The rout was completed on 87 minutes when Mitchell Gilbey flicked the ball through to substitute Martin Tuohy who showed great composure to round the keeper before rolling it over the line into an empty net.

Photo: KJA Sports Images

Danny Heale Post-Match Interview