Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Bostik North - 2017/2018
Aveley 3
M. Keizer-Burrows (28), T. Richardson (39), C. Ekpiteta (89)
Canvey Island 0

Canvey Island’s poor away form continued with a 2-0 defeat away to Aveley in the Bostik North on Easter Monday.

The Gulls have now failed to win in any of their past six matches on the road, and despite creating plenty of pressure were unable to recover from conceding two first half goals.

Manager Danny Heale made three changes from the side that beat Waltham Abbey 3-0 two days earlier, bringing in Jake Pitty, Sam Collins and Ryan Melaugh in place of Nathan Fox, Mitchell Gilbey and Ryan Charles.

The Aveley squad included two former-Canvey players, with Chris Bourne at left back and defender Alex Stephenson on the bench.

Canvey started the match brightly and created some good chances in the opening exchanges. In the second minute both Sam Collins and Ryan Melaugh had shots blocked by Aveley bodies before they could find the target.

Soon afterwards a cross-cum-shot from the left from George Sykes forced goalkeeper Aveley Rhys Madden to save with his left hand, diverting the ball behind for a corner.

Henry Newcombe was called into action for the first time on 15 minutes when Aveley forward Tom Richardson and Canvey defender George Allen both set off after a long ball. Allen went to ground to stop the cross, but Richardson did well to drag the ball back and cut inside towards goal. He shot towards the bottom corner, but the keeper did well to turn the shot behind at his front post dropping low to his left.

The ball was back up the other end three minutes later when the Gulls were awarded a free kick inside their own half after Tom Richardson had fouled Steve Sheehan. A long ball forwards found the head of Martin Tuohy 20 yards from goal, and he was able to flick it into the path of George Sykes. He attempted to dink a shot over the keeper but got too much on it and sent the ball high over the crossbar.

Aveley took the lead when they were awarded a corner out on the left wing after a long throw from Myles Keizer-Burrows had caused danger inside the Canvey penalty area. The corner was swung in and was met by Keizer-Burrows who rose high to nod the ball across goal and inside the far post.

Canvey responded well to going a goal down and created some good opportunities. On 33 minutes a decent cross from the left wing by Ryan Melaugh to the front post was met by a header from Martin Tuohy, but the forward was unable to glance his effort across goal and instead sent it wide of the upright.

They had an even better chance two minutes later when George Craddock poked a ball through the Aveley defence from the edge of the area. Connor Witherspoon attempted to shepherd it back to his goalkeeper Rhys Madden, but George Sykes slid in and got a shot off which Madden did brilliantly to turn behind for a corner.

Canvey took a quick corner which caught Aveley cold, with Ryan Melaugh having a shot headed across goal by Ryan Cosson. The ball landed at the feet of George Sykes who opted to take a first time shot which instead went back to Melaugh to strike over from 18 yards.

The Millers doubled their advantage in the 39th minute after some nice football had seen the ball worked out to Freddie Gard on the right wing. Gard played an inch perfect ball across the face of goal which Tom Richardson slid in to score across goal from six yards.

Trailing by two goals at the break, Canvey should have reduced the arrears seven minutes into the second half. Martin Tuohy brought the ball infield from the left, finding the feet of George Craddock on the edge of the D. Craddock played an excellent first-time ball through the Aveley defence which released George Sykes, but his shot from eight yards was straight at Rhys Madden who was able to pull off the save.

On 57 minutes a quick free kick from deep inside the Canvey half was played over the top for George Sykes to run onto. The forward was under pressure from right back Ben Sampayo which forced him wide, and with the angle too tight to shoot the forward opted instead to cross towards Frankie Merrifield. It looked as though Merrifield would have the goal at his mercy, but defender Myles Keizer-Burrows got up well to clear with a vital header.

Nine minutes later a free kick into the Aveley box seemed to be going straight through to Rhys Madden. However, George Allen had other ideas, cutting in front of the keeper and heading the ball back to Martin Tuohy on the edge of the box. Tuohy shot first time, but Madden was able to save and importantly hold ten yards off his goal line.

Madden had pulled off some good saves throughout the match but saved his best for the 70th minute. First a sweetly struck volley by Sam Collins from 20 yards was tipped around the post after the keeper dived low to his right. George Allen then got up highest to head the subsequent corner towards goal, but Madden produced and even better stop to turn it over the bar after flinging himself skywards.

The Gulls piled forward in the final 20 minutes in search of a route back into the match, but despite dominating possession were unable to find a goal of their own. The closest they came was in the 84th minute when substitute Ryan Charles cut in from the left and hit a low shot which Rhys Madden saved with his foot.

The hosts sealed their victory with a minute of normal time remaining when a low ball across the edge of the box found Calvin Ekpiteta who smashed home past Henry Newcombe who had dived to his left.