Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Bostik North - 2017/2018
Brentwood Town 0
Canvey Island 2
M. Tuohy (66), F. Merrifield (75)

Canvey Island recorded back to back away wins with a 2-0 victory away to Brentwood Town in the Bostik North on Thursday night.

With one eye on the playoffs, manager Danny Heale made three changes from the side that won away to Mildenhall Town last time out. George Sykes, Mitchell Gilbey and George Allen were rested with a place on the bench, with George Craddock, Ryan Melaugh and Elliott Warren coming into the starting XI in their place.

The home side meanwhile featured former-Canvey goalkeeper Tim Brown between the sticks. The shot-stopper has played 42 times for the Gulls, once this season in an Essex Senior Cup tie against Romford.

The first decent chance came in the 13th minute when Ryan Melaugh took aim from 20 yards for Canvey. He shot left-footed towards the bottom corner which had Tim Brown diving full stretch to his right before going a yard wide.

Melaugh caused more danger eight minutes later when he forced Tim Brown into a save with a shot from the right. Brown kept the shot out but was unable to hold, diverting the ball instead straight to Martin Tuohy. However, the forward was unable to bring it under control for what would have been a tap in.

Tuohy did make contact on the half hour mark after Frankie Merrifield sent a good cross over from the left to the back post. However, Tuohy’s volley went uncharacteristically wide when well placed.

Having not posed a threat for most of the first half, Brentwood should have opened the scoring on 39 minutes. An overhead kick from Brad Hunter from the edge of the box was off target but caught Jake Pitty by surprise and allowed Jack Mitchell in behind him.

Mitchell’s first effort was hit Henry Newcombe, with the ball coming back to the winger for a second bite of the cherry. He sent it back towards goal with a diving header which beat Newcombe but struck the outside of the post.

Canvey had a similarly good chance five minutes later when they were awarded a free kick out on the right wing. George Craddock played the ball short to Ryan Charles who gave it back, with sending an excellent cross into the area. Frankie Merrifield rose unopposed in behind the Brentwood defence but he could only steer his header the wrong side of the post.

With the game locked in a stalemate at the break, both teams had great opportunities to break the deadlock early in the second half.

On 51 minutes both Luke Stanley and Jake Mitchell forced Henry Newcombe into saves, and seconds later Daryl Robson hit the top of the crossbar with a looping effort from the edge of the box on the right.

This close shave seemed to spark Canvey into life and they proceeded to bombard the Brentwood goal.

On 53 minutes a George Craddock corner was partially cleared but only as far as Sam Collins 20 yards from goal. He shot first time towards the bottom corner but didn’t catch it cleanly and allowed Tim Brown to turn the ball behind diving low to his left.

A minute later George Craddock made his way into the box before shooting, forcing Brown into another save. This time the ball fell to the feet of Martin Tuohy, but his shot from a tight angle went across the face of goal.

On 57 minutes a good cross from the right by Jake Pitty found Sam Collins at the back post, and he in turn laid it off for Craddock to strike on the edge of the box. However, as he was about to pull the trigger the ball caught a bobble and ensured his shot went high over the bar.

Canvey had a goal chalked off on the hour mark after Martin Tuohy had been played through on goal. Tuohy opted to square for Frankie Merrifield to tap into an empty net, but the midfielder was inexplicably offside.

The chances kept coming, with Jake Pitty shooting over from 18 yards before Ryan Charles forced Tim Brown into another good stop diving low to his left to claw it out of the bottom corner.

The goal finally came on 66 minutes thanks to an immediate impact from substitute and former-Brentwood midfielder Josh Wiggins. Sam Collins played the ball out to Wiggins on the left wing and he sent over a tremendous first time cross to the back post. Martin Tuohy headed powerfully towards goal, and despite Brown getting to the ball he was unable to prevent the ball from crossing the line.

The lead was doubled with quarter of an hour to play after some individual brilliance from Ryan Charles. The winger ran the ball from inside his own half on the right wing, taking it past two opponents while driving in field. Having gotten 25 yards from goal Charles slid Frankie Merrifield in who scored with a composed finish into the bottom corner.

The closest that the hosts came to a consolation came on 82 minutes when left back Jack Gardner found himself in unfamiliar territory, one on one with Henry Newcombe inside the Canvey box. Gardner shot first time but scuffed his shot horribly wide with a defender’s finish.

Subsitutes George Sykes and Mitchell Gilbey both had chances to add to the scoring in stoppage time, but in the end the Gulls had to settle for a 2-0 victory.

Danny Heale Post-Match Interview