Oikos Storage - Proud main sponsor of Canvey Island Football Club
Frost Financial Services - Sponsors of The Frost Financial Stadium

Canvey Island FC - The Official Website

Match Report
Bostik North - 2017/2018
Canvey Island 2
M. Gilbey (25), M. Gilbey (73)
Ware 2
J. Watson (46), D. Cowley (50)

Canvey Island wrapped up their Bostik North league season with a 2-2 draw against Ware at The Frost Hire Stadium on Saturday.

Manager Danny Heale made three changes from the side that beat Brentwood Town two days earlier, resting Sam Collins, Martin Tuohy and Ryan Melaugh. In came George Sykes, Mitchell Gilbey and George Allen, with Elliott Warren playing at right back and Jake Pitty moving forwards into midfield.

On 14 minutes the ball was played into Frankie Merrifield on the edge of the box who laid it off for George Sykes with a neat back heel. However, just before Sykes could get a shot off defender Louis Brown nipped in and stole possession.

Sykes did manage to get a shot off a minute later, but goalkeeper Harry Voss was able to make a reasonably comfortable save diving to his left.

Canvey took the lead on 25 minutes when Jake Pitty played the ball out to Ashley Dumas on the left wing. Dumas sent over an excellent cross to the back post which Mitchell Gilbey was on hand to head home his 20th goal of the campaign.

Gilbey had another chance two minutes later when he was able to shoot from the edge of the box, but this time Harry Voss kept the ball out with a save to his left.

With very little other action of note in the first half, Ware shocked Canvey by scoring twice in the opening five minutes of the second.

Firstly Jordon Watson got himself in behind Steve Sheehan on the left and fired across goal and into the bottom corner from 18 yards.

Then, four minutes later, Watson played the ball back to David Cowley who 20 yards from goal in a similar position to Watson’s opener. Cowley looked up and curled an excellent shot into the far top corner, with Henry Newcombe getting a hand to the ball but not being able to keep it out.

Both teams took turns hitting the crossbar, with Ryan Charles clipping the top of the woodwork for Canvey following a corner on 61 minutes.

Soon afterwards Henry Newcombe turned Charlie Yexley’s shot onto the bar after the right back had beaten two players cutting in from the wing.

Canvey levelled the scores on 72 minutes when Mitchell Gilbey latched onto an under hit back pass from Louis Brown, running into the area and coolly slotting under the keeper to equalise.

The visitors missed two great chances to restore their advantage. On 77 minutes David Cowley played a low ball across the face of goal from the left. The pass found the run of Jordon Watson at the back post, but from six yards he blazed his shot over the bar.

Sam Collins came close with a long range effort from 35 yards from Canvey that went a couple of yards wide before Ware spurned another golden opportunity. This time Charlie Yexley’s cross from the right was criminally allowed to bounce in the box and made its way across to Marcus Milner, but his header from close range went inches over.

However, the match should have been Canvey’s with three minutes remaining with Ryan Melaugh was played through down the right. The substitute shot underneath the keeper and over the line before defender Bradley Frazier could clear, but the assistant referee didn’t signal for a goal and the Gulls had to settle for a draw.

Photo: KJA Sport Images

Danny Heale Post-Match Interview